Star Lounger
    Thanks

KB3022345 uninstall it?

I have Win 8.1 and am a big follower of Woody and the Newsletter and patching. I do not let Updates install themselves and follow Woody and Susans advice. But, when I bought my new PC last Dec at Best Buy stores I bought there Geek Squad protection for $100 a year and u can get online remote which I have used at least 12 times now and it is the best money I have ever spent on a PC. They are fantastic tecnichians and u can usually get ur remote session started in 15 minutes or less. Anyway, I ask them when they do a full Optimazation on my PC to not install my Updates but, they seem to do it anyhow. KB 3022345 got installed that way and I have had no problem with it upsetting my PC but Woody and Susan don't like the patch and from reading it seems to be a Microsoft trick for Win 10. I have a new update to patch it sitting there today KB 708 which I am not going to install till told to. My question is should I uninstall KB 345 now that it has been accidently installed. Ur thoughts on the two patches are appreciated.
    Drdoo2

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    345 was causing sfc /scannow to incorrectly report irreparable files which was why it was advised either not to install it or to uninstall it.

Following a recent factory reset of this laptop, 345 didn't appear in the list but I did notice one for Diagnostic Telemetry whereas 345 was for Diagnostic Tracking Service.

The Telemetry one is KB3068708 and is believed to be the replacement for 345, but also appears to be linked to the recent spate of ease of upgrade KBs.

I would uninstall 345 then do a manual check for updates to see if it gives you any re-releases, but I have 8708 installed and there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects - although I haven't run a sfc /scannow.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-05 at 09:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo 15. Sorry, it is just me as I am probably an average maybe slightly below average PC user. In fact I have Vista for 8 yrs before I bought this new PC last Dec from Best Buy with 8.1 and what a culture shock that was. I went out and bought Woody's 8.1 Dummy book and glad I did as I have bought maybe 6 of his other books and especially Vista lol. I never even new what a Windows Update was till I read his 8.1 book and started reading his site and joined the newsletter and I"m very glad I did and real enjoy learing about PC's now. But, have read about 345 and the sfc/scannow thing which I know nothing about but also thought I have read where 345 was a patch in disguise from Microsoft or Tracking for Win 10 or there own purposes. Then 708 came out and the way I read it is a patch for 345 but like u say is also for Microsoft and Win 10 etc. It sounds like u didn't get 345 but installed 708? Am I wrong there? Like I said I wasn't going to install update 345 from reading about it but the Geek Squad did for me and wasn't happy about that. I do have 708 sitting there now. Just curious as to why u installed 708? I am not interested in getting Win 10 until it is about 8 months old. Hope I am making sense to u? Thanks for ur help.
    drdoo2 / Pat

jwoods
    From Microsoft on 3022345 -

This update has been replaced by the latest update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry that was first released on June 2, 2015. To obtain the update, see 3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708

Prerequisites

To install this update, you must have April 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (2919355) installed in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2. Or, install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have it installed (as well as all other patches) on two Windows 7 systems and have had no issues.

Both are Optional, so you really don't have to install either one.

If you're not having any issues with your system, I'd just leave it alone for now.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-05 at 15:00.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwoods. appreciate u time. Thanks.
    drdoo2

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    Sudo 15. Sorry, it is just me as I am probably an average maybe slightly below average PC user. In fact I have Vista for 8 yrs before I bought this new PC last Dec from Best Buy with 8.1 and what a culture shock that was. I went out and bought Woody's 8.1 Dummy book and glad I did as I have bought maybe 6 of his other books and especially Vista lol. I never even new what a Windows Update was till I read his 8.1 book and started reading his site and joined the newsletter and I"m very glad I did and real enjoy learing about PC's now. But, have read about 345 and the sfc/scannow thing which I know nothing about but also thought I have read where 345 was a patch in disguise from Microsoft or Tracking for Win 10 or there own purposes. Then 708 came out and the way I read it is a patch for 345 but like u say is also for Microsoft and Win 10 etc. It sounds like u didn't get 345 but installed 708? Am I wrong there? Like I said I wasn't going to install update 345 from reading about it but the Geek Squad did for me and wasn't happy about that. I do have 708 sitting there now. Just curious as to why u installed 708? I am not interested in getting Win 10 until it is about 8 months old. Hope I am making sense to u? Thanks for ur help.
    drdoo2 / Pat
    sfc /scannow is a system file check and repair and is a useful Windows tool for checking for system file corruption when something doesn't or seem to be working properly.

Option 2 in this article explains how to run it in Win 8.1 http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

I had previously installed 345 but because I was getting repeated errors in Event Viewer that the Diagnostic Tracking Service had stopped, I uninstalled it and then read about the reported file corruption - so not as to be left out I reinstalled it and sure enough, it gave me those in a sfc /scannow.

For some just uninstalling the KB resolved those reported errors but I had to go back a few restore points before the sfc /scannow reported no errors.

While initially having no intention of installing Win 10 when the time comes, having two Win 7 x64 laptops, figured I could install it on one of them (and Bruce will win the bet ) so downloaded all updates on both laptops to see if I would get the invite notification - but so far, no such luck.

While this is off topic to your thread but because I've referred to them and you are obviously interested in learning about Win 8.1, this article explains using Event Viewer https://www.winhelp.us/event-viewer-in-windows.html and this article is for using restore points to take the computer back should something have gone awry after a given operation. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the additional info Sudo15. Sorry, it took a few days to get back to u. Much appreciated and helpful.
    Thanks,
    drdoo2/ Pat

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    Thanks for all the additional info Sudo15. Sorry, it took a few days to get back to u. Much appreciated and helpful.
    Thanks,
    drdoo2/ Pat
    You're Welcome and I've since gotten the invite on one of my laptops