New Lounger
    Thanks

EMET and Internet Explorer

I do not often use Internet Explorer but I needed to recently but could not get it to run. I got a message that said EMET had discovered a fault and was closing Internet Explorer. I do not recall loading a program called EMET but EMET 5 was listed in my program files as a Microsoft program, I deleted it and Internet Explorer now loads OK. but do I need EMET and what does it do?

Thanks
    See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544
    for a description of EMET - the Enhanced Mitigration Experience Toolkit.

It can be a little tricky to set up properly and its easy to forget you have it running when you get a conflict. EMET can get a little over zealous and cause errors.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544
    for a description of EMET - the Enhanced Mitigration Experience Toolkit.

It can be a little tricky to set up properly and its easy to forget you have it running when you get a conflict. EMET can get a little over zealous and cause errors.

Jerry
    I'll reinstall EMET and set it up carefully!

jwoods
    You might consider replacing EMET with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...EMET can get a little over zealous and cause errors...

Quite right Jerry.

I tried EMET (4.0?) after reading a WS article about it, early times in Win7 as I recall, but uninstalled it because I found it was interfering with my interactions with known good websites.

A later WS article praised EMET 5.0, which I downloaded and installed with similar (though less serious) results.

I need to access my bank's website for online banking, and also need to access supplier's websites to purchase PC components to repair customers' computers. EMET complained bitterly whenever I tried either of those kinds of https (secure) communications.

As far as I can see EMET might be useful to supervise inexperienced users, but for experienced users EMET is really just a PITA.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.