Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update caused black screen

Machine is Gateway DX4870-UB318 Windows 8 - 3GHz Intel® Quad Core™ i5-3550 - 8GB memory, max 16GB - 1TB storage - Intel® HD Graphics - 300W - Wi-Fi - Bluetooth® 4.0 - HDMI® - USB 3.0 Updated to Windows 8.1

It boots, goes to sign-on screen, the little circle moves and then it goes to a navy/black screen. The Mouse and Keyboard work. I can ctrl+alt+delete and get to a screen that gives me lock/switchuser/signout/change pw/ task manager.
    switch user says I'm signed on
    signout goes to win 9 splash with time then folds into signon with moving circle then to black screen
    I didn't get far enough to add a password so not clicking that
    Task Manager opens and I can see everything but don't know if there's anything to do here that will he.

I no longer get the12 Del options.

At one point I got into Bios and F9ed to restore to default settings. This let me get to the repair/reset screens and even a command line but I don't know what dos command to use to Reset. Found a windows license number using LicenseCrawler from command prompt but something I read said it was likely not a good one. It would not do a repair or a restore.

Because of something else I read I did a sfc /scannow and have that info saved. It affirms my guess that the updates I ran caused the problem.

The recovery discs (Paragon and WinPE) I'd made when the machine was new don't work. Owner can't find the recovery usb drive. One of the gazillion help places I read said I could do a Linix recovery disc, it would boot to Linix and then I could see the files I want to take off. I made the disc but it did not boot.

How do I reset this thing? Is there a different question I should ask to make it work again?

•All data on the drive has been copied.

•If Licensecrawler is to be believed, I have the Windows Registration Key(s)
    •it won't boot to a rescue disc or usb
    •Mouse and keyboard work
    •can get to Task Manager with ctrl+alt+delete but Explorer isn't there to turn off. Other processes show Avast is doing something and Windows Modules installer is as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Beckie,

Is this machine using Secure Boot. If so you may need to turn that off to get the boot disks to work. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Beckie (2015-06-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Beckie,

Is this machine using Secure Boot. If so you may need to turn that off to get the boot disks to work. HTH
    Belarc says Secure Boot is disabled.

jwoods
    It sounds like the disk boot order hasn't been changed, so it will always default to booting from the hard drive.

For laptops, holding down a function key will allow you to select the drive. Desktops usually have that function in the BIOS settings.

Should be in the users manual.

This is Gateway's link to a zip file that contains the manual...

http://global-download.gateway.com/G...TEWAY&SC=PA_6G

See page 75 "Recovering from your recovery disks".

Have you tried just rolling back from a previous System Restore point?

I would recommend doing that first before making a bunch of changes.

Boot into Safe Mode and restore the most current point. When it reboots, boot into Safe Mode again, to allow the restore to complete.

I have seen security sofware interfere when booting into "normal" Windows after running a restore.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-05 at 15:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it would be nice to change the boot order but as I mentioned, I cannot get into the Bios.

Without a command prompt or windows startup or windows repair/restore, I have no clue how to roll back to a previous system restore point. I cannot boot into safe Mode unless there's another trick that will work.

It goes to the sign-on screen and then to a black screen. Sometimes I can ctrl+alt+delete and get task manager to come on but I don't know how to boot from Task Manager and nothing turned up on a search.

Without being able to boot to anything but a black screen, I also have no clue as to how to disengage the antivirus.

There is nothing I've found in the manual to tell how to move from the black screen to anything. There are many fixes on the internet but all I've either tried and they failed or they created further problems. Eg...Once when I had a command prompt via notepad I was able to run sfc /scannow and since it attempted to make corrections (or actually made some) it stopped going to Repair/Restore/Reset or allowing me to access F12/Del at bootup to get to the Bios.

jwoods
    "At one point I got into Bios and F9ed to restore to default settings."

It appeared from your original post you had access to the BIOS.

Try this...

1. Power off your computer completely.

2. Hold down the F8 key.

3. Turn the power on and continue to hold down the F8 key.

You might get some beeps and a complaint about a stuck key, but it might get you to the screen where you can select Safe Mode to boot into.

System Restore is accessed through Control Panel.

You won't have to turn off your security software in Safe Mode.

Thanks
    F8 no longer works in Windows 8 to get to the recovery menu. Try this, as soon as Windows starts to boot, hold down the power button until the PC turns off, repeat one or two more times and you should get the recovery menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options and you should be able to select System restore.

Jerry

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    F8 no longer works in Windows 8 to get to the recovery menu.
    Should have said Shift+F8.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Thanks.
    http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boo...s-8-windows-81 - Courtesy of Google.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Thanks.
    That doesn't work on boot in Windows 8 either .

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Since the OP can't boot, the only method listed here that might work is the System Repair disk but few users have the foresight to make one.

Killing boot three times may be the only viable alternative. I don't know why Microsoft made this so difficult.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While this may not work on a desktop (or Win 8.1), some laptops advanced boot options can be accessed by tapping the spacebar at the rate of 1/sec as you switch on.

jwoods
    That doesn't work on boot in Windows 8 either .

Jerry
    Well, the answer seems to be "it depends".

Excerpt from the link in post #9.

5. Use F8 or Shift + F8 (doesn't work when using UEFI BIOS & SSDs)

In Windows 7, you were able to press F8 just before Windows got loaded, to open the Advanced Boot Options window, where you could choose to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode.

Some websites advise you to press Shift+F8, just before Windows 8 or 8.1 starts loading so that you make it start the recovery mode, from where you can boot into Safe Mode. The problem is that, most times, Shift+F8 and F8 don't work, even though they are correct commands, supported by Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

This official blog post from Microsoft (Designing for PCs that boot faster than ever before) explains that this behavior is caused by their work in designing a very fast boot procedure. Both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 have the fastest boot times ever. To quote Steve Sinofsky:

"Windows 8 has a problem – it really can boot up too quickly. So quickly, in fact, that there is no longer time for anything to interrupt boot. When you turn on a Windows 8 PC, there's no longer long enough to detect keystrokes like F2 or F8, much less time to read a message such as "Press F2 for Setup." For the first time in decades, you will no longer be able to interrupt boot and tell your PC to do anything different than what it was already expecting to do."

If you have modern PC with a UEFI BIOS and a fast SSD drive, there's no way you can interrupt the boot procedure with your keypresses. On older PCs, with a classic BIOS and no SSD drive, pressing these keys might still work though.

So I would say if the OP is NOT using a UEFI BIOS and an SSS, it's worth a shot if nothing else works.

Thanks
    I have yet to see a windows 8(.1) PC get to the recovery screen wi F8 or shift F8. The procedure I gave worked every time.

Jerry

jwoods
    I have yet to see a windows 8(.1) PC get to the recovery screen wi F8 or shift F8. The procedure I gave worked every time.

Jerry
    Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it won't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast