2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing addons from IE 11

I have annoying Add-ons that create pop-upads whenever I use IE. I had thesame problem with FireFox but was able to remove the add-ons successfully there.

With IE,however, I can’t seem to get rid of them.

I lookedin Control Panel / Programs and successfully uninstalled two items there.

In IE Iwent to Tools / Manage Add-ons. There I can see the offending apps and theyshow as enabled and running, but when I highlight them the disable button isgreyed out, making it impossible to disable them.

For whatits worth these are ads from
    PriceMinus
    Bestadblocker
    PrriecEMoinus

I rebooted after deleting from control panel.

Anyonehave any clues on how to disable and delete these add-ons?

Specs

Windows 7Professional, 64-bit – SP1

IE 11,version 11.0.9600.17801, update version 11.0.19

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System_Restore_2015-06-05a.pngThanks.

A new development, which I believe is related to this is that I tried to do a System Restore to a point prior to when the Pop-up ads started appearing, but the System Restore failed stating that System Restore could not access a file. The message also suggests that this may be due to an antivirus program is running and to try turning antivirus off and then rerunning the System Restore.

So I turned off my Kaspersky antivirus and reran System Restore but it produced the same error. In both cases it does not specify which file could not be accessed. A screen shot of the entire message is attached.

While I don't know for sure, I am highly suspicious that this error is being caused by the PriceMinus adware that has infected my computer.
    Last edited by dglarson; 2015-06-06 at 09:52.

jwoods
    Boot into Safe Mode to do System Restore.

When the restore finishes and reboots your computer, boot into Safe Mode again to let it complete.

I have seen security software interfere with System Restore completing when booting into Windows normally.

Thanks
    The purpose of your AV software is to prevent changes to the files of the OS. System Restore wants to change the files, your AV blocks it. Sometimes turning off the AV isn't enough. It can be necessary to uninstall it before System Restore will complete and then reinstall it afterwards. Using Safe Mode may avoid this step. The drawback to this is that the Restore Point cannot then be undone if the result is not what was expected.
    Download and run AdwCleaner or Malwarebytes. They will remove the PUPs.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-06-06 at 05:59.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I ran Adwcleaner and it successfully removed the PriceMinus Pop-ups. Hooray! It also removed a number of other things that I didn't know were there.

I haven't tried System Restore since then, but I am debating on the best approach. Since Adwcleaner eliminated the problem, in theory I don't need to run System Restore for that problem. But a working System Restore is essential so I need to know if its working or not. In response to Calimanco's comments, I have had Kaspersky antivirus for about 5 years now and have run System Restore many times without any errors or problems during that time. That leads me to believe that the System Restore problem isn't related to the AV software, in spite of the fact that the error message suggests that it could be. But, since my AV license is current I receive updates continuously without notice so its possible that incompatibility has arrived at my PC recently as part of one of those updates. I last did a successful System Restore under Kaspersky in February 2015.
    I could try it in Safe Mode as both Calimanco and jwoods suggested.

It would be useful if the System Restore error message specified which file it couldn't find, but it didn't. Still unsure of the best approach.

System Restore error message is attached.

System_Restore_2015-06-05a.png
    Last edited by dglarson; 2015-06-06 at 10:14. Reason: Couldn't get attachment to stick.

Thanks
    Not to labour the obvious, but as you don't know when the PUPs were installed, running System Restore may restore the problems you just fixed.
    Image, or preferably clone, the hard drive to an external hard drive. Delete all your previous restore points by turning off System Restore. Turn it back on and allow it to create a new restore point. make a small, but obvious change and create another restore point. You can now experiment to your hearts content without fear of doing any irreparable damage.