Thread: Custom Labels

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Custom Labels

About a month ago, I defined 2 custom labels - basically the same label but one version in portrait mode and the other in landscape.

This was done in Word 2003 running under Windows 7.

When I go into Word 2003 and go thru Tools, Letters and Mailing, etc to get to the Envelopes and Labels dialog and then click the Options... button, there is a "Label Products" dropdown box that lets me choose the "manufacturer". Mine got stored under "Other/Custom" even tho I named them "Staples 19883..." They got stored at the head of the existing, pre-defined "Other/Custom" labels, even tho alphabetically there are others that should come ahead of mine.

There is no Staples pre-defined Labels Products in Word 2003.

I tried to access these labels from Word 2010 but they do not seem visible to Word 2010. Word 2010 does have Staples (but these are pre-defined Staples labels, not mine despite the name) but no "Other/Custom" in the 2010 equivalent dropdown of "Label Vendor."

So where is the info for my labels stored?

Is there a way to make them visible to 2010 without having to redefine the labels specs?

If I defined a custom label in 2010, would "Other/Custom" get added to the dropdown?

And can I delete the specs for my labels from wherever since this is a 1-time shot (and one of the two was defined incorrectly anyway)?

TIA

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

Maybe this EHow article will help.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG,

Nice finding you on this board too. Is there any board you're not on?

Thanks for the link. But that didn't do it - it really didn't address any of my questions.

I started this work about 1 or 2 months ago so don't recall all the details. I even checked the Staples web site at the time.

Your link talks about label design programs. I already designed my label - at least for the dimensions - in Word's Envelopes and Labels dialog. The item is not a "label" per se but an event ticket (hence the Staples 19883 "label"). The idea was that I would create the label once and then let Word replicate the design across a page full of "labels." Actually, it looks like Word creates a 1-page table filling up the page with a table where the cells are laid out per your dimensions specified in the dialog.

I could have continued at the time by creating text but the text wasn't ready at the time. Word did seem somewhat limited in terms of creating the actual contents of the label in the label dialog (eg, don't recall if I could add graphics).

I recall Staples has a similar set of instructions as Avery and HP on your link. I think the catch with Staples's site was that they wanted you to do the work on their site. I also recall that there was a charge for printing labels but don't recall for sure.

So we ended up ordering blank, numbered labels from the Staples web site. A check of the Staples web site now doesn't even show the product we ordered.

I may consider just using a Word table, design one cell, and then copy/paste that cell to the other cells on the page. Then I'll print that page many times.

At the very least, I'd like to get rid of one of my label templates since it was laid out in the wrong direction. But once this project is done, I could get rid of both of them. Hence my questions.

Thks.

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a link that explains that the label definitions for Word 2003 were stored in the Registry, but 2007 and later in custom XML files.

http://www.gmayor.com/custom_labels.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

Check the Staples box for a Avery Equivalent number most of their labels have them. You can then use the Avery Software template to do the work. I created business/calling cards this way and yes you can add graphics. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG and Richard,

Thanks for the replies.

I think Rich's response answered most/all of my questions of my OP - about where things are stored, deleting them, etc.

Truthfully, I don't think this is the best approach given that I don't think it unreasonable to do the kind of things I'd envision - define a label in one Word version, move it EASILY to another version, delete an unwanted label, etc. Using the registry in Word 2003 and prior is really unacceptable - excuse the rant. If I have to back up my computer, per the usual advice when changing the registry, to delete something that was so easy to create, there's something rotten in the state of Denmark.

And it really doesn't sound like 2007+ is much better if all custom labels are saved in an .xml file. But at least I don't have to worry about backing up my registry. Or is there something I'm missing? Maybe have to back up my .xml so I don't mess up other customized labels?

What we ended up doing was using my Word 2003 label definition and had Word create a full page of labels w/o using the Envelopes and Labels dialog to create any text - basically a table of 8 cells w/ all blanks. Then we created one label in the table, including graphics, and copied/pasted into the other 7 cells. (There was also the issue of how close we could come to the edge of the paper/cell for the printer in question.)

But I will keep the EHow article in mind in case I need to do this again.

So we're on a roll now. Thanks guys!

Fred