5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gateway SX2110G Windows 8 (x64) desktop needs help

Iím working on a Gateway SX2110G Windows 8 (x64) desktop with many problems
    --- The owner hasnít used the computer since August of last year
    --- She moved last August and had Comcast.
    --- Now sheís a few towns further away and has Charter but hasnít been using the computer because sheís working on improvements the house needs
    --- Iíve asked the owner to bring me the System Repair disc that I had created when she bought the computer

I donít know Windows 8 so Iím interested in knowing the following
    --- Iíd like to use the System Repair disc to see if I can repair whatís wrong
    --- If that doesnít work out then Iíll see if I can just do a complete factory restore

I have saved her data
    The only application she has is Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013

OK I noticed in the show hidden icon section there is CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5
    According to this link Should I remove it? What is CyberLink MediaEspresso?
    http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Cyber...2-program.aspx
    --- During setup, the program registers itself to launch on boot through a Windows Schedule Task in order to automatically start-up. The main program executable is MediaEspresso.exe.
    --- I can uninstall it but do I have to check the Windows Schedule Task remove it in there too?
    --- If so how do I get into the Windows Schedule Task to do so?
    Thereís also a CyberLink PowerDVD 12 in the Uninstall or change a program list
    --- So now that Iím not a fan of CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 being invasive without permission from the owner Iíd like to consider uninstalling CyberLink PowerDVD 12 also
    --- However I do not know how the DVD/CD ROM HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH82N Optical drive will handle DVDís, should I leave it alone and not uninstall the CyberLink PowerDVD 12?

In case itís youíd like to know, in summary this is what Iíve discovered so far
    The computer ran as slow as molasses when I got and itís running ok now.
    --- I uninstalled Norton Security Suite & Norton Online Backup, Constant Guard Protection Suite, Fast Connect by White Sky & BrowserDefender by Bit89 Inc
    --- I did some maintenance: Deleted browsing history, ran AdwCleaner, Ccleaner, turned on Windows Defender and ran a scan plus used Malwarebytes Free

Disk Cleanup doesnít complete when including cleanup system files.
    --- It got about 25% of the way and just hung there for 5 hours at Update package backup files so I cancelled it
    I tried to run sfc /scannow but it didnít run
    --- It reported Another servicing or repair operation is currently running

The computer needed 95 Windows Updates but it ďquitĒ when it got down to 33 updates to go
    --- Error code WindowsUpdate_80246013 or WindowsUpdate_dt000 (1)
    --- I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it reported the following
    --- Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490: Fixed
    --- Windows Updates Components must be repaired: Fixed

The browser had reverted back to IE10. According to my notes, IE11 was on there last year

jwoods
    First thing I would do is a full disk image of where you are at now, in case something breaks after fixing something else.

Second thing would be to run CHKDSK /R in an elevated Command Prompt. There could be disk errors. Don't defrag the hard drive until CHKDSK runs and finds nothing to fix.

I would simply unselect the Windows Updates that are currently failing, and attempt to install as many as you can. Focus on the Critical and Security updates, and don't worry about the Optional updates. Some may have prerequisites that haven't been installed yet. Don't go online with a browser until the system is patched.

Don't use any more third-party cleanup tools or repair/recovery disks at this time.

I would run a deeper scan with Malwarebytes (use the custom scan and look for rootkits).

Windows should uninstall all of the Cyberlink bits, including scheduled tasks.

Windows can read/play DVD's on it's own...most people get a third-party tool such as VLC, but don't worry about that now.

You'll need to replace the Norton AV program with something else...Windows Defender is for malware.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-06 at 02:36.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @jwoods I'm working all of what you mentioned. The computer has been running very good today and when I started with Windows Updates again, the computer is in the process of installing 26 updates automatically. I don't know why it's taken a couple of days to do what it should be doing but it's looking good right now.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? Win8.1 does things differently. I used an 8GB USB Thumb/Flash drive to create the Recovery Drive.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/w...recovery-drive
    I have a Custom computer without the factory restore partition.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-fdd973a70c47

This speaks about Windows 8:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1...pair-disc.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All Windows Updates automatically installed without any problems

Windows Defender in Action Center: For both virus protection & spyware and unwanted software protection, it reports Windows Defender is helping to protect your PC

Disk Cleanup including cleanup system files finishes within a few minutes

The computers really zipping along right now
    --- I run the maintenance items I mentioned in the morning before I start using the computer and it has progressively gotten better from yesterday to today and I expect it to continue to run excellently
    Since this is Patch Tuesday week I’ll leave well enough alone
    --- I expect things stay just fine right now

So it looks like I’ll be considering updating to 8.1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The computer is running excellent
    Today I got a notice that the computer should be updated to 8.1
    So I checked Remind me later as I need your advice on tackling doing so
    I suspect I'll probably be hounded by that notice pretty often
    EDIT: Even if there is a way to avoid that notice I prefer to do the 8.1 update anyway

However I've read in a few online comments that if an 8.1 update fails, the computer will revert back to 8.0. Is this true?

Any advice on any gotcha's I need to watch out for?
    --- For example IE10 is still the browser.
    --- Should I update to IE 11 before updating to 8.1?
    The Microsoft Office Home and Student was downloaded and installed from the Microsoft website so I would think that shouldn't be a problem
    Then there's Windows Defender.
    --- Since this natively Microsoft's product I think should be ok also
    Will it ask me if a Microsoft account is need?
    --- If it does I'll have to check with my friend as to whether or not she has one

Before I'm ready to start the 8.1 update I'll create a new system image once the computer is in a "pristine" state

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    ...However I've read in a few online comments that if an 8.1 update fails, the computer will revert back to 8.0. Is this true?
    Any advice on any gotcha's I need to watch out for?...
    The first few times I upgraded customers' Win8 computers to 8.1 I had to do it through the Store which meant a large download (>3GB) of the 8.1 upgrade. Then after that several hours to download/install WU patches (80+ and more than 1.5GB).

Then M$ made Win8.1 ISO files available for download early this year. I downloaded the x86 & x64 ISOs for Home & Pro and burnt them to DVDs (4). Since then it has taken less than an hour each time to upgrade 8 to 8.1 from DVD.

See this thread: Legitimate Microsoft Windows 8.1 ISO Media Creation Tool

EDIT: before each Win8 to 8.1 upgrade I always remove any malware/spyware/adware (MBAM, SpybotSD, ADWCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, etc.), and also uninstall any resident security program(s) (Norton, McAfee, Trend, AVG, etc.) that could interfere with the 8.1 upgrade and the following WU patches.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-06-07 at 20:42. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Created the System Image backup, a new System Recovery disc and also the Recovery Drive to USB.
    --- Once I update to 8.1 and have it running properly, can I use that USB flash drive again?
    --- Can I just delete whatever's on it or format it as brand new again?

I have a book about 8.1
    --- I didn't see any chapter mentioning a System Image Backup, System Recovery disc or a Recovery Drive to USB
    --- There is a section for backing up the computer with file history
    --- What's the correct way to back up Windows 8.1 once I get it updated and running properly?

Now I'll be investigating the mentioned 8.1 ISO's

jwoods
    How-to using Windows 8.1 -

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Create...leHistory.aspx

You might also try a free third-party tool like Macrium Reflect -

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-08 at 15:28.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-08)

Thanks
    Coochin

Then M$ made Win8.1 ISO files available for download early this year. I downloaded the x86 & x64 ISOs for Home & Pro and burnt them to DVDs (4). Since then it has taken less than an hour each time to upgrade 8 to 8.1 from DVD.

Is this an upgrade or a fresh install? I am trying to prepare my self for this eventuality.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ...Is this an upgrade or a fresh install?...
    They are full Win8.1 installation DVDs. They can be used to perform a clean install, or if inserted while Win8 is running to upgrade Win8 to 8.1.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-06-12)

Thanks
    if inserted while Win8 is running to upgrade Win8 to 8.1.
    Thank you Coochin. This was what I wanted to know.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.