Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks

From 7 Home Premium to 10 Pro

1. I have a retail Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVD with a license to upgrade 3 PC's (so-called Family Pack bought in 2010). (even though it's an upgrade DVD, it still allowed a clean install with the double install method, both 32bit and 64bit versions)

2. I recently bought a new portable PC (without OS) with 32 GB RAM. But the Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit I temporarily installed can address at most 16 GB.

3. I assume that to upgrade and address all 32 GB RAM, I'll need Windows 10 PRO 64bit.

4. But I'm afraid that, in my case, that upgrade from 7 Home to 10 PRO version will NOT be free. I will have to buy a retail Win10 Pro Upgrade disk to again do a clean 64bit install with the double install method.

5. Is my paragraph 4 correct?
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Depending upon what MS will be charging for Win 10 Pro, it could be cheaper to upgrade to Win 7 Pro and then you will get the free upgrade to Win 10 Pro, but you are correct in that you will not be able to go from 7 Home Premium to 10 Pro without incurring some charge.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The first question is, how much memory Windows 10 Home can access. I have been looking online, and Microsoft says Windows 8 can access 128GB of memory, and Windows 8 Professional and Enterprise can access 512GB.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...mits_windows_8

I poked around the Microsoft sites, and didn't find a spec for Windows 10, but a couple of non-Microsoft sites said it will be the same as Windows 8. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be less.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by E Pericoloso Sporgersi View Post
    4. But I'm afraid that, in my case, that upgrade from 7 Home to 10 PRO version will NOT be free. I will have to buy a retail Win10 Pro Upgrade disk to again do a clean 64bit install with the double install method.

5. Is my paragraph 4 correct?
    It is correct...

Upgrade to Windows 7 Pro - $89.95.

Control Panel > System > click the link "Get more features with a new edition of Windows 7".

Windows 10 Home to Pro - $99
    Windows 10 Home - $119
    Windows 10 Pro - $199

As mentioned, the best option to avoid spending the most and avoiding a clean install is purchase the upgrade to Win 7 Pro, and get the free Win 10 Pro.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-06 at 17:38.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is very unusual for a retail PC to have that much RAM. Are you sure that the machine has 32GB of RAM and not a 32GB SSD?

Joe

Thanks
    2. I recently bought a new portable PC (without OS) with 32 GB RAM. But the Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit I temporarily installed can address at most 16 GB.
    What exactly is a "portable PC"?
    All in one PC, MicroATX motherboard PC, Laptop?

check your motherboard specs. If says it can support 32GB, then it should very well support 32GB RAM,
    if so, you may have an issue with one or more of your RAM modules.
    If not, then you've got 16GB more than you can actually use irregardless of 64 bit OS version.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It's a PC designed for easy transport...forerunner to the laptop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It is very unusual for a retail PC to have that much RAM. Are you sure that the machine has 32GB of RAM and not a 32GB SSD?

Joe
    With 30 years DIY hard- and software experience, I know better than that. Still, one can appreciate and applaud your concern. Thank you.

Actually my portable has 16 GB RAM at present, but with two slots still free, I plan to add another 16 GB, before or maybe after transiting to Win 10 Pro, but certainly this summer.

WEI.jpg
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Thanks
    All in one PC, MicroATX motherboard PC, Laptop?
    It's actually sold as a notebook or laptop or what-have-you.

BUT ... It now has several external devices permanently connected to it:

1 eSATA 1TB Lacie HDD
    2 USB 2.0 1TB Lacie HDD
    1 USB 2.0 400MB Maxtor HDD
    1 USB 3.0 2TB Lacie HDD
    1 USB 2.0 256MB stick
    1 USB 2.0 smart card reader
    1 USB 2.0 DVD player/burner
    1 USB 2.0 flatbed scanner
    1 USB 2.0 Logitech mouse transceiver
    1 USB 2.0 inkjet printer
    1 USB 2.0 cable ready for a Tomtom GPS navigator
    1 USB 2.0 cable ready for a Garmin GPS navigator
    (with 4 powered USB 3.0 hubs)
    1 transceiver for a wireless headphone
    1 ethernet cable for internet connection

One can hardly call this a notebook. It's a home office system.

Disconnected from all externals, the machine becomes portable, but still no laptop because its cooling air intake is on the underside.
    Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi; 2015-06-07 at 04:07.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you used Crucial's Scanner to determine the max memory the motherboard and slots can support. http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en

Both my Toshiba laptops have their air intake on the underside.

Thanks
    It's probably a SFF PC (small form factor), based around a mATX (micro-ATX) motherboard.
    Depending upon how old it is, it may not support a full 32GB RAM, newer ones of enthusiast grade probably do though quite easily.

Check RAM type; DDR2 vs DDR3, DDR4, speed at which it's running, individual RAM module size, and
    how many RAM slots are on the motherboard. CPUID will likely have a tool for this on their website.

1. Get the make and modle number of the motherboard and search for a whitesheet or manufacturer's spec.
    It'll tell you whether it supports 32GB or not. I can't imagine anyone being overzelous enough to install
    considerably more RAM than the machine can actually use.

2. To find out what you have installed, boot down to BIOS or EUFI and check.
    Either that or you can physically open op the case and check too.

After all is said and done, exersize your warranty, if any.

You can also remove ALL memory and test by replacing one at a time.
    To be thorough; Remove all memory, replace with one module, boot to BIOS and look for recognition, then remove
    and repeat for all. The one you can't boot with will be the bad module.

If all is good, and you still can't get 100% recognition, and your motherboard is newer and supports a full 32GB , look for a EUFI/BIOS update.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-06-07 at 05:17.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See What are the editions of Windows 10 available? for many details about Windows 10 in one place.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See "What are the editions of Windows 10 available?" for many details about Windows 10 in one place.
    Joe
    I made a wrong assumption. The Microsoft Community article What are the editions of Windows 10 available? states that Windows 10 Home 64 bit can address up to 128 GB RAM. (Thanks Joe)

How much RAM does each edition of Windows 10 support?

Windows 10 Home 32 bit 4 GBs
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit 128 GBs
    Windows 10 Pro 32 bit 4 GBs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 512 GBs
    As I'm not in a tearing hurry, I'll delay my upgrade until a Windows 10 Home ISO, or equivalent, is actually available and not just predicted/announced.

Thank you, guys, for your thoughts and remarks.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Thanks
    What the OS can support is not relevant, it's your hardware that'll be the primary determining factor.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What the OS can support is not relevant, it's your hardware that'll be the primary determining factor.
    That's why I advised running Crucial's scanner in Post #10.