New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy/Paste is broken

For some time now, Copying and Pasting works erratically. One typical scenario would be : I'm typing a blog comment in my browser (usually Opera), I copy and paste it into Notepad or Word to edit it and nothing happens ; I do it again and then it works. Now this behaviour has extended to other applications, with a variant : I copy and paste some text, and what gets pasted is not what I just copied, but what I copied the previous time I used the function. Any ideas ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Using Ctrl+C? I would guess that your Ctrl or C key is only working intermittently, so the keyboard may need cleaning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I'm helping I can copy & paste a number of links into the same reply and have found CTRL+V and CTRL+C don't always work for me so I use the right click.

It's also best to clear the Clipboard before copying & pasting the next link.

You can create your own Clipboard Cleaner by right clicking on the Desktop and select New/Shortcut.

In the box type cmd.exe /c echo off | clip

Click on Next and give it a name like Clipboard Cleaner

Click on Finish then right click on the icon and select Properties - Change Icon then type into the highlighted box - %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32 - (if it says that it can't find it, just click OK and the icon window should come up).

Click OK and then you can scroll along to choose your icon - scroll far enough to the right and you will see a brown clipboard, which is the icon I use.

You can then just double click on the Desktop icon to clear the Clipboard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all.

I would guess that your Ctrl or C key is only working intermittently.
    I use both the right-click and the keyboard, so I'll have to watch this. However, I just cleaned my keyboard a short while ago. Maybe I'll dig up an old keyboard and see if the problem disappears.

You can create your own Clipboard Cleaner.
    Done. Let's see if that works. Gee, I thought that a simple thing like Cut/Copy/Paste would be foolproof after all those years... I suppose there's no way of displaying what's in the Clipboard ? Any chance that such behaviour could come from a virus or keylogger ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the only way to see what is in the Clipboard would be to right click and paste it into Wordpad.

Sometimes the keyboard would work for me and sometimes not, even when using the right hand CTRL key that I no longer bother with it and just use the right click and drag etc.

I don't think it has anything to do with an infection but you could run the free version of MBAM to see if that finds anything untoward. https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

You can decline the 14 day free trial offer of the Premium version by unchecking the box during its installation.

You can also check your keyboard out with this free program. http://www.keyboardtester.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice keyboard tester, mine passes the test. Thinking of it, CTRL+A always works, and I don't have any problems with my c's and v's... So it's not a keyboard issue.

I have already done a Malwarebytes scan and found nothing.

By the way, it's an old W7 install which behaves in all sorts of bizarre ways, so I planned to nuke the whole thing clean and reinstall from scratch. But I'm kicking the can down the road, as you can guess.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your install disk has SP1 then you could perform a repair install which would be quicker than a clean install, but in either case it's best to back up your drivers folders from Windows\System32 and then you can drop them back in afterwards. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea. I was not aware of this driver trick.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Clipboard Recorder (http://clipboard-recorder.en.softonic.com/. I paid a nominal amount, and there's a free version). It not only shows what you've copied, but will keep the last 100 copied items available at the click of a button. You can delete each item, or all items. There's never a day goes by without my using it several times.

David

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinoceros For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This looks nice. Thank you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure you'll come to rely on it. Very convenient, especially when copying/pasting several entries one after another, like in Web forms. A word of warning: if you copy any passwords or log-in details go back and delete them after you're done or else they'll be there ready for someone else to use!

David

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinoceros For This Useful Post:

Clairvaux (2015-06-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you mentioned this. I never paste any password except through Kee Pass, which has all sorts of tricks to prevent potential malware from stealing passwords in the process (volatile Copy, scrambled typing in order to defeat keyloggers...). I suppose this includes not letting them linger in the Clipboard. Unfortunately, Clipboard Recorder did keep a password I copied and pasted through Kee Pass, which tends to be a red flag to me.

Good safety measures mean you don't need to rely on your memory. It will almost certainly fail you at some point.