Thanks

Windows 7 Pro "Dirty Install" instructions needed.

Windows 7 Pro "Dirty Install" instructions needed.
    Is there a link here or elsewhere for a Windows 7 Professional [I own the MS blue 64 & 32-bit set] "dirty install?"
    Reason for asking: Both of my OS image files are corrupt; Since I cannot do a full-image restore with either image -- an error eventually crops up & everything comes to a screetching halt -- even after doing Folder by Folder by Folder restoration, using both images"
    computer posts, but never boots into Windows Safe or UnSafe modes. Can boot USB sticks or CD-DVDs all day long
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I assume you mean the non destructive reinstall. It can't be done if you are unable to boot into Windows. You have to do a Clean install when booting from the Windows 7 install disks. If you do a reinstall to the same Windows directory, it should create a Windows.old directory with your old data and Windows files.

Jerry

Thanks
    Have you tried using F8 during boot and then System Restore?

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you boot up with either install USB or DVD can you get into the RE to select Command Prompt as it's possible your HDD is failing and running a chkdsk would be an idea.

During the navigation to the RE, does it find the location of the OS ?

You can confirm the OS partition letter with this command bcdedit |find "osdevice" and then enter (assuming C) chkdsk c: which though in read-only mode, should report any KBs in bad sectors.

Data can be lost when running a chkdsk c: /r but could get you back in normally to back up your personal stuff if bad sectors were found.

Enter the command exit to close the command window.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-06 at 13:23.

Thanks
    Thanks all! Believe it -- I was able to do a "dirty install" onto my Laptop S03. First using Acronis Disk Director 12 to make sure all other partitions were logical, and only C-partition was Primary and Active.
    After making a mistake with USB-booted MiniTool Power Data Recovery/Partition Manager and using same to get back all four partition, I continued onward with Acronis Disk Director 12. Finally, using Acronis Tue Image, after restoring my desktop OS image onto S03 laptop, then restoring via Folder/File checkboxes the original S03-OS imsage onto said S03 laptop. First few boots were 800x600, moved up to whatever top end resolution; am now in the process of removing software meant for only the desktop. If anyone's interested: Before the above, I tried restoring S03 Folders & Files only, after many many noBoots, gave up and went with the above plan.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad you were able to get that sorted, Roland.

When you can't boot normally and can't get into Safe Mode, it can be a symptom of a failing/failed HDD - hence my suggestion.