Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem activating the Admin account

I tried to activate the hidden, default administrator account in my Win 7 Home Premium system as described in http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...admin-account/Fred Langa's article[/URL] of May 14th. Everything seemed to be going fine, but when I tried to log into the account, it tried to set-up the account, and came back with the message that "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desk top refers to a location that is unavailable......." I checked the location, and sure enough, there is no desktop shown, as shown here:

MissingDesktop.JPG

Consequently, the set-up apparently doesn't complete, and while the User icon shows up as a User during logon, each time I try to open it, it just goes back to the set-up and I get the same "Location not available" message.

Anybody got any suggestions for me on how to finish activating the Admin account? Thanks.
    Last edited by shelquis; 2015-06-06 at 12:02.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure your account is an Administrator
    Run Command Prompt using Run as Administrator
    Type net user administrator /active:yes
    Exit out of the Command Prompt screen
    I did shut down the computer after having done that
    --- It might not be necessary to do so
    When starting the computer back up, the hidden Administrator account was available

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

shelquis (2015-06-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have Desktop listed either, or Searches or the .dat.LOG but I can still enable the hidden admin account in my Win 7 x64 SP1.

What does a sfc /scannow report and is anything recorded in Event Viewer ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shelquis (2015-06-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. My system also is Win 7 x64 SP1. I ran sfc /scannow. Here's the result:
    SFC Scannow Results.JPG

I went through all the logs and saw nothing that appeared to be related. I also went through all the Windows Logs in Event Viewer and didn't see anything that was obviously related.

I just tried the net user administrator /active:yes command again. Got exactly the same behavior as described in the original post. Didn't see any new Logs that seemed pertinent.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CBS.log is a text file. If you post it, maybe we can decipher it

Do you have a System Repair Disc? It could be useful in repairing what needs to be addressed

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    The CBS.log is a text file. If you post it, maybe we can decipher it
    You can't access the CBS.log directly.

You can dump SFC results to a text file on your Desktop by doing the following...

In an elevated Command Prompt...

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > "%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

You can then attach the text file sfcdetails.txt to your post if you need further assistance.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-07),shelquis (2015-06-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, something is being reported as corrupt - run a chkdsk /f to see if it reports the same.

The sfc /scannow report could be because of KB3022345 which caused sfc to report irreparable errors and if the chkdsk /f comes up clean, either uninstall KB3022345 or see if you have any restore points that will take you back to before last month's Windows Updates and then run another sfc /scannow.

MS has since issued KB3068708 which supersedes 345 so you could check to see if you have any WUs outstanding - else post a copy of the CBS Log as suggested as something is causing Windows problems and there's enough brains in the Lounge to help if the cause isn't obvious to us slightly mentally challenged

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shelquis (2015-06-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I downloaded and installed KB3068708. I left KB3022345 in place. I reran sfc /scannow and got identical results. Then I ran chkdsk /f. Here are the results:

ChkdskResults.JPG

I don't see anything there about corrupt files. Am I missing something? And, yes, I do have a Win7 Install disk. I really don't want to have to rebuild my system from scratch, but I really would like to activate the hidden Administrator account. I haven't yet tried to get the CBS Log. Do I still need to do that? What does CBS stand for?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've attached the sfcdetails.txt file. It shows unrepaired files in 4 different places, but they appear to be the same unrepaired files. I do see references to KB3022345 and KB3068708. And what does the final entry mean (Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired) ? Does that mean that all the previously reported unreparable files were eventually repaired?
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired) ? Does that mean that all the previously reported unreparable files were eventually repaired?"
    --- I don't know because I haven't run into that situation; however, it does sound good

Try activating your administrator account again
    --- If it still doesn't work, use your Win7 install or system repair disc not to reinstall but to diagnose or fix system issues
    --- I don't recall the procedure to do so since I've done that only once but there are some pretty good experts here who can probably bring that up
    --- And I have to admit it would help me recall it also

I haven't done so yet but I'm going to investigate Administrator account location not available if the above doesn't work
    EDIT: Well I decided to check at least one recommendation now: check out http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ble-winre.html
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-06-07 at 15:31.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

shelquis (2015-06-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried activating the Administrator account again, and got exactly the same behavior I reported in the original post

I looked at the sevenforums article you linked. Hopefully I'll try that tomorrow.

If anyone else has suggestions on how I should use my Win7 disk to repair, without losing anything, I'd appreciate the guidance. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The CBS log shows the same errors I was getting due to KB3022345 but the chkdsk /f reports that it had repaired some files, so run that again and if that says there's nothing wrong then if sfc /scannow still reports those errors, you can ignore them.

That link does seem to have some promise but have you tried creating another admin account and then see if the net user administrator /active:yes works.

If push comes to shove then you can perform a repair install which will leave your files etc. intact, but your install disk needs to have SP1.

Prior to performing a repair install it's best to back up your drivers folders from Windows\System32 and then you can drop them back in after.

This sevenforums article will walk you through a repair install. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

However, if you have the retail product key that came with your install disk then you should be able to download the ISO from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery but I'm not sure if these ISOs include SP1.

BTW - While that pic of the chkdsk output is readable, to copy & paste a command window output, right click in the command window text area then click on Select all and press enter - you can then right click in the reply box and select Paste.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-07 at 19:01.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shelquis (2015-06-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15. OK, I'll run chkdsk /f again, but in the meantime I wanted to mention that I just ran a backup of my user files and made a system image. When I was on the Backup and Restore console I noticed it had a link to create a system repair disk, so I made one of those too. My Win 7 disk does include SP1. I'm not sure what's on the system repair disk I just made from the Backup and Restore console.

Should I have uninstalled KB3022345 after I installed KB3068708?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    That link does seem to have some promise but have you tried creating another admin account and then see if the net user administrator /active:yes works.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I know the net user administrator /active:yes (&no) command works. Like I said in my original post, I get the user icon on the logon page, but it's during desktop setup that it craps out due to the desktop not being available. The yes command puts the user icon on the logon page and the no command removes it. So the command works, it just can't find the desktop at "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desk top" because the "Location (is) not available".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Repair disk will boot you into a window where you can select the default EMS option which will take you onto the Recovery Environment for say Startup Repair and other recovery options such as you need to restore from a system image created on an external HDD.

I would have uninstalled KB3022345 first and see if Windows Updates re-offered it.

Yeah, forgot the command was producing the admin icon.

Thanks
    If Windows says it's not available why not try creating it? The desktop is effectively a folder.

From an admin command copy and paste this command

MD C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast