Thread: User Account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Account.

Reading the last Windows Secrets letter, I read Fred Langa's article about User Access Control. In this article, it was said that changing from a Admin. account to a standard account makes a PC less vulnerable. I decided to change my admin. account to a standard on my desktop assuming it can be changed back. As it turns out, it does not work: cannot change back at all. First of all the box where one can choose between Admin. or Standard is no longer available. Also other operations are no longer available as well. One example is using the msconfig.exe, which can no longer be opened w/o being asked for the admin password. My question is how is it possible for me to get back to the Admin. account. At this time I have no solution or clue how to manage this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    Reading the last Windows Secrets letter, I read Fred Langa's article about User Access Control. In this article, it was said that changing from a Admin. account to a standard account makes a PC less vulnerable. I decided to change my admin. account to a standard on my desktop assuming it can be changed back. As it turns out, it does not work: cannot change back at all. First of all the box where one can choose between Admin. or Standard is no longer available. Also other operations are no longer available as well. One example is using the msconfig.exe, which can no longer be opened w/o being asked for the admin password. My question is how is it possible for me to get back to the Admin. account. At this time I have no solution or clue how to manage this.
    Do you have another user account, this happened to me and I was able to change back by signing into my wife's account who had a Admin. account and permission to change my account.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Reading the last Windows Secrets letter, I read Fred Langa's article about User Access Control. In this article, it was said that changing from a Admin. account to a standard account makes a PC less vulnerable. I decided to change my admin. account to a standard on my desktop assuming it can be changed back. As it turns out, it does not work: cannot change back at all.
    Fred didn't say you could change back from standard to administrator. Security would be meaningless if any standard user was able to promote themselves to administrator.

◾ If you need to delete an unnecessary account or convert a second admin-level account to a safer standard user, click the account in question and use the on-screen options (e.g., Change the account type). Note: Be careful that you always keep one admin account.
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...-reader-email/

You may need to boot to Safe Mode or from CD/USB with NT Offline Password & Registry Editor to activate the hidden administrator account before recreating an administrator user account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok., Fred did not say but I should not have followed his advice, so it's my fault. I have followed Fred for more than 15 years, and he is an excellent adviser in PC matters. I hope this clears it.

The situation is as such that I even have difficulties now to uninstall things because the User Account Control now ask for any kind of action for an Administrator password, which I do not have and was never asked to create one when I installed Win8. I have a MS account which was the one with admin. privileges which I - the stupido - changed to a standard account. There is also an Administrator. I say this because it does not appear in Control Panel>User Accounts. When I go to shutdown and choose "Switch User", there is the screen with Administrator and my account (signed in). I assume that the Administrator in this case is the "hidden Administrator account". Starting this one is not helpful for several reasons, but the main is that it is not the same as my account.

Anyway, the issue is how to get back to a normal account with Admin. priv. as I had it before. Secondly, how to find this dammed Password. I looked it up in the Internet, and there are a lot of advices but all seem to differ, and appear very complicated. Make one mistake and one is out. Is there a sensible solution except reinstalling Win8/Win8.1
    The mentioned article does not help. Tried it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is also an Administrator. I say this because it does not appear in Control Panel>User Accounts. When I go to shutdown and choose "Switch User", there is the screen with Administrator and my account (signed in). I assume that the Administrator in this case is the "hidden Administrator account". Starting this one is not helpful for several reasons, but the main is that it is not the same as my account.
    If you can log in to any administrator account, you can use it to change your login back from standard to administrator.

Thanks
    There must be one administrator account available.

account.png

jwoods
    My question is how is it possible for me to get back to the Admin. account. At this time I have no solution or clue how to manage this.
    Do a System Restore from a restore point before you made the change.

Thanks
    Guys, Gals, did Fred actually to change an admin acct into a standard acct, or, did he say to create a standard acct by creating an acct, then change that newly created acct into a standard acct?
    Reason for asking -- I would not like Fred to lose such a loyal reader!!
    Meanwhile, OP, is there any way you can Enable the built-in Administrator account? If you cannot roll back via a System Restore Point, or, better yet, a restore of a previous OS image -- please advise us.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need a better understanding of "Administrator and my account (signed in). I assume that the Administrator in this case is the "hidden Administrator account". Starting this one is not helpful for several reasons, but the main is that it is not the same as my account."
    --- This tells me you have the Administrator account available
    ------ If this is true, you can use the Administrator account to set your standard user account back to an Administrator account
    --- It also tells me the "my account (signed in)" was an administrator account that you changed to a standard user. This is the one you want to change back to an Administrator account
    --- If I'm wrong, please let us know

On how to find the password: The issue probably goes something like this
    --- Your standard account password doesn't allow you to access the Administrator account because you need administrator privilege to proceed
    --- Chances are the Administrator account doesn't have a password unless you created one
    --- But as I mentioned above, if you can access the Administrator account you can proceed to set your standard user account back to an Administrator account
    --- Again, If I'm wrong, please let us know

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all responses! I will try to answer them all now.

1) System restore. Does not work. I tried several restore points and all came up with he same message. Not successful. Unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0X80071a91). Checked the error but no solution to this one. It appears that this a sort of generic MS error where MS apparently cannot say where the issue is buried. Did not change anything.

2)cmptgy. Good explanation but unfortunately does not help either.

3) I went again into the mysterious Administrator where I do NOT need to enter a password at all (why? I don't know). Once I am in there everything looks different because all settings are - "God knows what". Anyway, I went into Computer management>Local Users and groups>Users. Here I find myself, Homegroup Users, Guest, and Administrator. From there under Users on the right column I chose "Add New User..." and then added a user name very similar to the one I have, and a password. No problems. Then switched back to my normal account called User Accounts in Control Panel. What did I see? First of all my normal account with "ADMINISTRATOR" and password protected. The other one can be seen under Manage another account but it useless at this time because it has not profile at all. Now I can start msconfig.exe w/o being asked for the admin. password. It seems I am back as Administrator. Proof can be Task Manager. Calling for new task opens the box where a command can be entered and a little check box to "create this task with admin. privileges. With being in a standard account the little check box is not appearing (correctly).

I do not know or understand what my action described above really did do but apparently it got me back.

Just to mention this. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (64) and then to Windows 8.1. Sometimes, I experiment a little, and it could be that some corruption may have occurred but my desktop PC runs well at all times.
    HP, with Intel I-5, NVidia Graphic Card, Creative Labs Audio Card (very good), CD/DVD drive, 1 TB HD, Charter Cable 60Mbps as for the most important things. When W10 comes out will try a clean install to have a real clean system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "but apparently it got me back" Thanks for letting us know.

jwoods
    1) System restore. Does not work. I tried several restore points and all came up with he same message. Not successful. Unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0X80071a91). Checked the error but no solution to this one. It appears that this a sort of generic MS error where MS apparently cannot say where the issue is buried. Did not change anything.
    The next time you try a System Restore, boot into Safe Mode to run it.

Then, when System Restore reboots your system, boot into Safe Mode again, to allow it to complete.

I have seen security software interfere with System Restore when booting into "regular" Windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe its a good time to find out whether or not system restore does work now
    --- Once you have your computer the way you want it, create a system restore point at that time
    --- Also create a system image backup