3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD-DVD drive not seen by BIOS or Windows except...

I've got a weird problem. Several weeks ago I switched motherboards (and cpu) to a Gigabyte Z97-UD5H-BK and a couple of weeks ago I switched system SSDs to a 256gb Samsung 850 Pro. There were some initial boot problems with the latter, as I had cloned it rather than starting fresh, but they got worked out and it's been running fine in Win 8.1 Pro x64. In the process of working that out,* I noticed in BIOS (F7) boot choices that none of the three Seagate HDDs or the CD-DVD writer were being recognized, but were there in Windows (however, in BIOS Peripherals they were showing under SATA and Marvel drives). I don't recall for sure now about the DVD drive in Windows, but I think it was ok. So another project...

In the process of trying to track down the problem, I found that if the Samsung SSD and DVD drive alone were plugged in, the CD-DVD drive showed in BIOS and Windows, but as soon as I plugged in the HDDs it disappeared. A second thing I noticed was that one of the HDDs, a 2T Seagate Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101, wasn't seen by BIOS or Windows when pluged into the mobo's main SATA 3 bank, but only when plugged into a Marvell SATA 3 port, which I wouldn't otherwise use. While perhaps the two issues are related, from a practical standpoint I'm mainly concerned about the lack of CD/DVD drive. It's a Plextor 691SA (SATA), and as far as I can tell Windows must supply the driver because neither the Plextor site nor Softpedia show any for it. I've checked connections and changed cables, SATA ports, PSU ports and DVD drives, but can't figure it out. I've also been in touch with Gigabyte support, but while they may test it they hadn't heard of any such problems with this mobo. The previous board, a Gigabyte Z68 one, didn't see any of these problems. So, any ideas? Thanks,

* The missing HDD issue in BIOS boot choices has mostly been worked out (btw, they are data drives, some with system backups). That's to say, most of the time they show in BIOS boot settings when I look, but if they don't they always reappear after a Save and Restart. No, not what I expect.
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-06-06 at 23:27.

jwoods
    Check the jumper settings on the drive.

Thanks
    Have you checked Device Manager and Disk Manager for any problems? Make sure that the boot drive is on the lowest numbered SATA port, 0 or 1, and the DVD player is on the second. Disconnect the other drives and reboot. If the DVD drive is now recognised by the bios, you can reconnect the other drives sequentially and check that all are correctly recognised in Disk Manager. It shouldn't make a difference, but the bios can sometimes fail to recognize a drive if ports are skipped.

Thanks
    I have this board and have noticed kinda strange (to me) things regarding what shows up in the (F12) boot menu. Are you running Uefi or CSM ? I think that UEFI settings can be changed in mysterious ways by Windows boot manager or loader. At present I have 7 different entries including 2 "Windows Boot Manager"

Please keep us posted if you learn anything.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is embarrassing. Turns out none of the above: some of the SATA ports were disabled in BIOS. I'm guessing it was by default, because I wouldn't have done that. But it's odd that a few were enabled and a few not. Thanks for your replies.

wavy, UEFI.