Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Why forced to use Flash?

Why is it that Windows users are pretty much forced to use Adobe's Flash products? There are millions of Mac users who can use the same websites without suffering the flakiness and security risks imposed upon Windows users by Adobe Flash. Many websites don't function properly without Flash on a Windows PC (you get warnings and nags to install Flash) but work fine with a Mac. As I understand it the browser types are queried by sites as to which way to present content. Why don't they allow one to not use Flash? If millions of McUsers can function fine without it why can't the rest of us?

Is there some way to spoof these sites into thinking one is using a Mac thus allowing the disabling or uninstallation of Flash? Or would that stir up a whole other ball of problems?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    dkolasa,

Thanks to HTML5 things are headed in that direction.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-15)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought that the Mac ban on Flash only applied to mobile devices? AFAIK, OSX still has flash clients available and commonly installed.

Thanks
    I deeply despise Adobe flash. I'm foolishly hoping the new W10 browser will assist in this perversion.
    There are just way too many flash ads that are in serious need of being reined in.

[parasitic life sucking detriment to the internet]
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-06-08 at 13:42.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2015-06-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkolasa View Post
    Why is it that Windows users are pretty much forced to use Adobe's Flash products? There are millions of Mac users who can use the same websites without suffering the flakiness and security risks imposed upon Windows users by Adobe Flash. Many websites don't function properly without Flash on a Windows PC (you get warnings and nags to install Flash) but work fine with a Mac. As I understand it the browser types are queried by sites as to which way to present content. Why don't they allow one to not use Flash? If millions of McUsers can function fine without it why can't the rest of us?

Is there some way to spoof these sites into thinking one is using a Mac thus allowing the disabling or uninstallation of Flash? Or would that stir up a whole other ball of problems?
    No one is forced to use Flash, but then one needs to 'live without' the 'Flash' internet content. Some do.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh come on Clint, don't you enjoy a blaring ad going off when you open a tab? Doesn't it make you want to immediately whip out the credit card and purchase that product in gratitude for reminding you of its existence?

Thanks
    Yeah, sometimes I hit the ceiling when one of those retarded & unexpected ads blares out.
    And they do have the volume cranked just for that purpose.

...it's all Adobe's doing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I knew I ran FlashBlock for a good reason.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I hit the ceiling when one of those retarded & unexpected ads blares out.
    And they do have the volume cranked just for that purpose.

...it's all Adobe's doing.
    How to stop auto play videos: http://www.pcworld.com/article/28584...ay-videos.html

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2015-06-13)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    No one is forced to use Flash, but then one needs to 'live without' the 'Flash' internet content. Some do.
    Well said.

Thanks
    speaking of flash, there is a new update out now. 18.0.0.160

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think we need to be realistic. While we can kill Flash with fire, that is merely a means to an end. Advertisers want your time and attention. The potential demise of Flash as a technology won't do anything to end disruptive advertising.

Thanks
    That's true unfortunately.
    They'll always find new and innovative ways to annoy.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still prefer to READ news articles, etc. without having a video hogging up my bandwidth. Unfortunately, I like youtube, and that requires flash on Windows PC's. I understand that it's only the "Active X" version of Flashplayer that is the security risk. Does that still hold true?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Unfortunately, I like youtube, and that requires flash on Windows PC's.
    That hasn't been the case for nearly six months for most Windows users: Modern browsers will now be served a Flash-less version of YouTube by default

Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I understand that it's only the "Active X" version of Flashplayer that is the security risk. Does that still hold true?
    I don't think so. All the critical flaws so far this year (already more than any complete previous year*) seem to have applied to all platforms:

Adobe Flash Player : Security Vulnerabilities Published In 2015 (Execute Code)

* And that was before the additional 13 critical flaws published and patched yesterday. Looks to me like Flash is more dangerous now than ever.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-10 at 14:01. Reason: Added "critical" to identify linked/listed 78 of 94 total

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast