Thread: Print Server

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print Server

I had the following printer system working just fine under XP, until I decided to "improve" it:

1. Brother 1650 Laser installed to SMC Barricade 10/100 Cable Router with 4 ports and 1 print server, in home office with Dell workstation.
    2. HP DeskJet 990C installed to one of above ports, via SOHOWare printer parallel port-to-Ethernet device.
    3. Compaq (XP Home) desktop (another room), Dell (XP Pro) workstation and IBM (W98) notebook connected to remaining ports on SMC Barricade.
    4. Each printer set for printer sharing.
    5. TCP/IP and IPX protocols.

All worked fine, using latest drivers. Could print from any computer to any printer. Only problem in this setup was that my Dell system, had to be on in order for the Compaq to print to the DeskJet. As a peer-to-peer network with shared resources, both printers were seen by XP as being associated with the Dell, even though neither was physically attached.

Decided to go to a 2 port LinkSys 10/100 Print Server with 4 port switch. Connected LinkSys to Barricade via the LinkSys uplink port. Left all other Ethernet cables connected to Barricade, including cable modem. When I changed the printers to the new Linksys print server ports under printer properties, I could print fine, but only if I continued to "share" them. I had not gained the ability to access all printers without the Dell being on.

I've tried everything to get the printers to be independent of any computer. Set up network as "Other", connected through a hub. XP warned about security risks, but I use the Barricade firewall with dynamic IP addressing and ZoneAlarm Pro, so not too concerned. No matter what I try, I cannot get the printers to be truly associated with the network, and not the Dell.

Can anyone help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Server

Update - the problem was with the LinkSys driver. Ignore the linksys.com site to get the update for WinXP Pro. Go to public area of ftp.linksys.com - it's there. Also, shut off cable modem for 30 seconds or so after configuring IP addressing - otherwise it will not pick up the change.