Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection problem in Windows 10 IP Build 10130

I have Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro installed on separate hard disks. I have no problem connecting to the internet in Win 7 or 8.1, but have no internet connection in Win 10. When I run Windows network diagnostic tool it says "Ethernet does not have a valid IP address".

If someone could please tell me how to fix this I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Normally the quickest fix is to delete the ethernet adapter in device manager and reboot.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni, thanks-I did that but it made no difference except that networks diagnostics now refers to "Ethernet 2" not having a valid IP address, presumably due to the deletion of the Ethernet adapter and the automatic reinstallation of it on reboot.

Do you, or does any other lounge member, have any other ideas?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In Device Manager does the adapter show as OK?

With no valid IP address it appears it is not finding your router. Have you tried a power down shut down and restart? Have you tried restarting the router?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks. In Device Manager the adapter is shown as working properly. I tried shutting down and restarting, and also restarting the router, but it made no difference.

I do not have an internet connection problem with Win 7 or Win 8.1. Regarding Win 10 the internet connection was ok with Build 10047, but not with Build 10130.

Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    In an elevated Command Prompt, run the following -

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you using a third party firewall? Have you tried disabling the firewall?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    When I ran the ipconfig /release command I was told "an error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet 2 : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint".

Normally I would be using the firewall built into the Avast Internet Security program, but for some reason that firewall service cannot be started, and that only happens in Win 10 Build 10130. I am waiting for further advice from Avast about that.

I tried uninstalling the network adapter and then running the Intel program which installs the drivers for my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection, but was told no Ethernet adapter was installed. I restarted so that the adapter, according to Device Manager, was reinstalled and working properly, and then tried again to run the Intel program but got the same message again!

I also ran sfc /scannow. Corrupt files were found and successfully repaired, but that made no difference.

Should I try to disable the network adapter again, but this time also delete the software, and then run the Intel program again?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    When I ran the ipconfig /release command I was told "an error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet 2 : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"./
    Check and see if DHCP is turned on at the router.

If it is, do the following...

In an elevated Command Prompt run ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfigdetails.txt"

Copy and paste the contents, or attach the file ipconfigdetails.txt that was created on your Desktop.

Thanks
    Normally I would be using the firewall built into the Avast Internet Security program, but for some reason that firewall service cannot be started, and that only happens in Win 10 Build 10130. I am waiting for further advice from Avast about that.
    I wouldn't recommend running any third party security software or anything else that messes with the guts of the OS unless it specifically states it supports Windows 10.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem finally. More in hope than expectation I used the reset option in Windows 10, knowing that I would have to reinstall my third party programs, and I am pleased to say that my internet connection is now working properly, and that after reinstalling Avast Internet Security and rebooting the Avast firewall issue was also solved.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Refards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I solved the problem finally. More in hope than expectation I used the reset option in Windows 10, knowing that I would have to reinstall my third party programs, and I am pleased to say that my internet connection is now working properly, and that after reinstalling Avast Internet Security and rebooting the Avast firewall issue was also solved.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Refards, Roy
    Ok I am having the same problem and resting is probably not the solution. After spending 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft and Dell (both kept sending me to each other) I tried this simple fix. In the IPv4 setting i added a IP address in place of letting it detect one automatically.... it works..... does any one have a permanent solution????

Thanks
    Check your router setting to make sure it is doing DHCP. Reboot router just for kicks. Reset your computer to request a IP address. Reboot computer and at command prompt type: ipconfig /all

What is the IP shown as now?
    Does it connect to router and internet?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.