Thread: SSD password

New Lounger
    Thanks

SSD password

I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. From what I understand, the SSD is encrypted by default. However you need to set a password in order to protect the SSD.

To set the AES 256 encryption I’m told to enter an “HDD password” in the bios settings. But when I look for this option (AMI 80.11 bios) the option to set an HDD password is not there. Does anyone know of a way to set an HDD password if the option isn’t available in the bios settings?

I also can use software that comes with the SSD to activate TCG/Opal v2.0 but I’m really not familiar with Opal. For example, will there be a performance hit if I activate Opal 2.0? Is it more or less secure than the AES 256 encryption?
    Last edited by JuneauPhroggie; 2015-06-08 at 14:44. Reason: misspelling

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I learned something new from you. Just don't know how to answer your question however.
    https://www.samsung.com/global/busin...n_Brochure.pdf

https://www.samsung.com/global/busin...t/faqs_03.html [per the FAQ...you can use one form of encryption but need to disable the other two. FAQ indicates only 840EVO and 850PRO for encryption...this is incorrect as the 850 EVO brochure, data sheet both list encryption.]

. If you enable the HDD Password in BIOS, SED using the Class0 mode will be enabled, and you don't need to install separate software.
    Some systems or BIOS may not support this feature.
    . How to set up AES encryption
    - In BIOS, Security > Password on boot > HDD Password (※May differ depending on the BIOS)
    . The encryption key set for the AES is stored in the NAND of the SSD. If the key is lost, you can only reset the encryption key by performing a Secure Erase.
    If you do so, all existing data will be lost.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-08 at 16:54.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    eDrive is used if you enable Microsoft BitLocker, or you can specify a hardware password via the BIOS / Opal and Windows won't know you are using encryption. Whichever method you choose uses the internal hardware encryption so there should be no performance difference.
    Make sure you have a copy of the encryption password / key and a good and tested backup.

cheers, Paul