Star Lounger
    Thanks

KBs mysteriously gone from my updates and not installed either

I have windows 8.1. I do not let Microsoft update my PC automatically. The last time I updated was May 28th. I had KB 3068708, KB 2976978 and KB 3050265 which is still there as beore an optional waiting to be installed. I don't remember of the other two 708 or 978 which one was the optional and one was a regular update. I check my Updates every morning to see what is there and install according to woody or susan Bradley. I was gone on 6/8 and never turned my PC on all day and I believe but not sure that I read somewhere that someone left there PC off one day and KB's got installed. Problem here is they were not installed they are just gone from my list of updates. My Update History does not show they were installed and my Installed updates does not show they were installed. It still shows the last updates were dont on 5/28. I ran an Update Check and nothing came in at all. It is Tue. 6/9. Anyone kknow what may have happened. I know I don't sleepwalk and I for sure didn't do it accidently and no one uses my PC. Thanks.

drdoo2 / Pat

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked the Restore hidden updates link at Windows Update?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just now checked it Bruce as u suggested but there is nothing there as I have never used it but one time and in my own brain I always thought the only way a KB could get put there is if u put it there. Thanks.

jwoods
    One easy way to check if an individual update has been installed is open a Command Prompt and run the following, replacing 1234567 with the correct KB number -

wmic qfe | find "KB1234567"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwoods. To be honest I have never run a command prompt. Isn't it enough that if u look on ur " Installed Updates " and ur Update History if they aren't there then they aren't installed???
    drdoo2 / Pat

jwoods
    Checking "View installed updates" is the most common way.

However, I noticed that when you posted the KB's, you had a blank between the KB and the number.

If you searched for KB 3050265, it would not be found, even if it were installed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-06-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    /
    sorry the space was my typo thanks

Thanks
    drdoo2, run the windows update trouble shooter( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-8) @ 2x a wk, u will find things run smoothly then!!!!

Thanks
    Sometimes MS withdraws patches, usually because they don't work properly and broke a lot of PCs. In such cases, they are removed from your update list. To find out if this applies in your case, you need to check the kb number on the MS Knowledgebase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    One easy way to check if an individual update has been installed is open a Command Prompt and run the following, replacing 1234567 with the correct KB number -

wmic qfe | find "KB1234567"
    Good thing to know, a whole lot quicker than the way I was doing it, run a DLed update file with a switch (don't recall the switch) and takes about 5 minutes.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks David. I got that same response from another memeber. Believe it or not when I just got the last updates that came out I didn't get them till Wed the 10th the two missing Updates were back lol. But, no one has told me yet how they dissapeared? That is what I would like to know??? I know I didn't do it??
    drdoo2/ Pat

jwoods
    Probably the NSA removed them because they heard you weren't going to upgrade to Windows 10.

Seriously, as Calimanco said, sometimes updates do get recalled.

Are you sure you didn't hide them?

You can run Windows Update manually from Control Panel and see if they are offered again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods. Sorry, I don't know what NSA is and I've never heared of Updates being removed. No I didn't hide them I even checked for the heck of it. Anyways, the ones that disappeared are back now in the latest batch of updates. Thanks

drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    National Security Agency - in the States. Apparently they read everything that we do on our PCs, as if. Sorry got to go, there's someone banging on my front door....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Pat "I believe but not sure that I read somewhere that someone left there PC off one day and KB's got installed"
    --- Doesn't happen during the time the computer has already been shut down if the windows updates automatic setting hasn't started the procedure.

I'm paraphrasing here:
    --- If Windows Updates are set to Install updates automatically, windows updates installs will happen as a computer is being shut down and a message states do not shut down but the computer will shut itself down when completed.
    --- When the computer is started back up the update configuration appears and a message states do not shut down the computer.

Another scenario for the Install updates automatically is if the computer has been left on, the windows updates will install at an appropriate time, the computer will shut itself down when the installs are completed but also restart itself back up; again there are messages indication do not shut down, installing updates, configuring messages