Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fact or Fiction and more Confusion Win 10 Upgrade

I have Win 8.1 I guess I can't read anymore as I am totally confused by all the writings about the " Reserve Win 10 " and when u can or should Upgrade to Win 10. First, I want to say I really don't WANT TO GET Win 10 UNTIL IT IS ABOUT AT LEAST 8 MONTHS OLD. I read Woodys site everyday, Info World and any links there that sound like something that may give me more information about this subject and the Newsletter etc. Can someone here explain to me? Do I have to " Reserve " Win 10 before July 29th. Or lets make it simple. Reading the facts I just gave of my intentions what exactly do i have to do before July 29th and or after July 29th to assure I get the free Upgrade to Win 10. Thanks to anyone who has the info.

drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    I don't intend to reserve it, I'll update to 10 later. Not reserving it means I won't get the download on the 29th July. A useful page is

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...auxapp_context

and this answer seems to answer your questions

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didnít reserve?

Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you donít reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, weíll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-06-09)

Thanks
    I might upgrade a non-production Win7 PC after July 29 but certainly not until I am ready to do so. So far as my main Win7 PC is concerned I have no intention of upgrading within six months.

Nevertheless I have been testing Win10TP on a non-production system since October 2014. As is to be expected there have been problems, but the more recent builds are impressive. The few remaining bugs should be sorted before the final release.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks access mdlb. I read the link u gave a few days ago. I guess I get a little confused over PC stuff although I read most of the best info available. Sometimes I read a few things that seem to contradict a bit and that brings slight confusion to my brain lol. I think I am worrying about this too much lol especially with all this stuff published about some of these new optional updates coming thru is a wolf in disguise from Microsoft prepping ur PC for the upgrade when u don't know if or when u might want it.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin I got it.
    drdoo2/ Pat

Thanks
    I've reserved Windows 10 on my machine, but as a common practice I never enable Windows Update.
    So I can download and install it at my leisure. It also helps to have known good image of your current OS.

It's likely that I'll wait a week or two after W10 is released when a means to turn that download into a storable and
    bootable copy of Windows 10 gets thought up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for ur input Clint.
    drdoo2/ Pat

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, reserving "your" copy of Win 10 is almost the most meaningless thing on planet Earth unless you were one of the first and intend to install as soon as possible...now for Microsoft, it's anything but meaningless as they have several measurements they are going to get from this action, not the least of which is publicity...they're hoping for numbers that blow away all previous numbers as far as implementation and demand goes, and not just in OS comparisons.

Thanks
    I am sure they have band width considerations too.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks F.U.N Downtown. I agree with u. I don't really want to get Win 10 until it is at least 8 months on the market.

drdoo2 / Pat

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I gather, once you have reserved Windows 10, MS will download the upgrade to you, in bits & pieces. On the 29th, it will ask you if you want to install it. So, a reservation will pre-download Windows 10 for you, to save the rush on the 29th. I'm very keen to get it. I was just thinking about all the updatesif I had to wait a few months.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for ur input zswobbie1. Things are getting clearer.

drdoo2 / Pat

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have separated (as much as I can) my OS from my data, by booting off a 240G SSD reserved for system files (along with application data, of course). When I finally upgrade to Win 10, I would like to put it on a brand new SSD as a clean install.

I want to just set the win 7 SSD aside in case win 10 pulls a Microsoft-whoops on me.

Is this likely to be possible?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As of June 2nd, I read that you can only do a clean install AFTER an upgrade install. Seems like one should be able to clean install from the getgo on a W8.1 system if the lic. key is in the UEFI BIOS but doesn't sound likely at this point for W7 so you might have to clone the W7 over on the new SSD and let that get upgraded, preserving the original.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Dan. Yea, anything is possible with them as we know. I have been wondering about their " u can cancel the reservation at any time ". ? But, what punishment will they dish out for that???? They don't say what comes next???
    drdoo2 / Pat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast