Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't print PDF from Adobe Reader to Samsung printer

Very curious problem:

A client's laptop can print from all applications to his Samsung M2070w printer, but PDF's through Adobe reader cannot. The PDF's are viewable, and he is able to choose to print - gets the dialog box "Flattening....... " and it then hangs.

This is not caused by the PDF, because it prints fine from another machine.

The same problem exists when it comes to PDF's saved from Word on that same machine.

This would point to a corrupt installation of Adobe Reader, but this has been fully removed, and replaced with a fresh download..... with the same results!

Any help would be appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Does he have the most current printer driver?

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for printer driver.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The printer driver is not the problem, since he has already installed the latest. He can also print quite happily from other applications - just not PDF files from Adobe Reader!
    I am stumped!

Thanks
    Have you tried a variety of PDFs ?
    Add another printer (in the MS sense ) and try that.
    Try another physical printer. Not a real solution but narrow the focus.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This isn't my fix (courtesy of Google) but open the PDF - Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanced) in the left pane then uncheck the box for Enable Protected Mode at start up then close and reopen the PDF to effect then give that a go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run into something like this previously. A few things to try:
    1) use a different (older?) version of adobe reader
    2) install another PDF reader (eg pdf exchange viewer)
    3) install a PDF printer (eg. pdfcreator), print to that to create a new PDF file, and then try to print that from adobe reader

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions - will give them a go, and see what the outcome is.

Moving to a different reader is tricky because SARS (SA Revenue Services) uses the PDF capabilities in Adobe Reader for tax filing purposes, so we need to see if we can get this right.

Thanks
    What bothers me, is when you said "PDF file from WORD".
    How did WORD get into the mix? I'd have to think that could be the crux of the problem.

Two things:
    I gave up on Adobe reader, several years ago, because every new version was almost twice the size of the previous version, just to do the same job. Why?
    I installed "Foxit reader" and never looked back. It's smaller, faster and does the same job of reading PDF files that Adobe Reader did,,,,,and it's FREE.

Next, I kept having all sorts of problems with MS Office, so that too went into the bit bucket.
    I now use Open Office exclusively, for myself, and I install that for my customers who are having some kind of a problem with MS Office.

As a tech, if I were sitting at that computer that won't print PDF files, I would try either one or maybe both of my above suggestions, before getting out the Big Hammer!

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Foxit or an alternative Reader wouldn't seem to be an option and Adobe Reader is also free.

I once dumped Reader in favour of Foxit until I found it wouldn't read my utility bills, so out went that and Reader back in.

Thanks
    Just a long shot, but simple...

Try opening the PDF in Adobe Reader and then using Save As... to save it (under a different name) without changing anything, and try to print that.

If that fails, use Edit>Preferences>Documents to toggle the Save As optimizes for Fast Web View setting, then use Save As... to save it (under a different name) and try to print that.

As with Word, I have found that simply saving the file can fix problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had similar problem with my Samsung printer several years ago....Samsung was of no use, just told me to reinstall Win7. My feeling was that driver and Win7 just did not play nice together. I eventually found a work-around like folks here have proposed. I really bitched at Samsung, even on Amazon.

About 6 months later, I noticed that a Win7 update was for Samsung printers...that struck me as weird. So I installed the update, and voila, it all worked! So stay alert on updates, and bitch a lot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    ...The PDF's are viewable, and he is able to choose to print - gets the dialog box "Flattening....... " and it then hangs...
    Have seen this problem on a few customers' computers. Usually fixed by deleting PDF files from the user's Temp folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Temp
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hear that this option worked:

If that fails, use Edit>Preferences>Documents to toggle the Save As optimizes for Fast Web View setting, then use Save As... to save it (under a different name) and try to print that.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks
    Hi yes my printer wont print from office word not even the latest one so uninstalled it when back to open office and bingo prints as good as gold, when word it kept ending me to one note and one drive when tried from there sent me back to word.
    So yes use open office a great free program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast