Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

New Monitor -- should it be touch screen

My monitor is on its last legs and I'm going to need to replace it. I'm using Windows 7 (no need for touch screen). But as I, like pretty much everyone else, will be upgrading to Windows 10 at some time in the future (not in July but some time), I suddenly wondered if I'd be better served by a touch screen monitor. Downsides, they are more expensive, and less versatile -- at least the one I've been looking at, the PC Mag recommended Dell P2314T. The stand only allows you to tilt rather than raise or lower the monitor like an Ultrasharp monitor.

What do people think?

Joe

Thanks
    Personally, though I use touch on my tablet and smart phone (both Android) I have no intention of using a touch screen on my current desktop setup. However, I will have to decide when I replace this desktop whether to have touch or not (but I would 'play' on such systems in computer shops).

I don't particularly like laptops, but were I to get one, I would probably go down the touch screen route. I want my my wife to replace her venerable laptop (Vista upgraded to 7) at some point. Again I would get her to 'play' in a shop to see if she likes it.

In the final analysis, you're the only one who can decide. Go to your local computer shop (e.g. PC World if you're in the UK) and give them a whirl. And think first of what you want from a PC with a touch screen. Asking here is (sorry guys) likely to just get a lot of yes answers, probably more no answers, with a few which will give good reasons for using touch or not. But by then you will probably be very confused

As I said at the top - this is my personal view, YMMV!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I do plan to go to PC World tomorrow and try some screens out. I love my old IBM keyboard with a Trakpoint and am not sure what touch would add...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I find myself touching many screens which I know are not touch enabled. Once you use touch for a while, even though only on a phone or tablet, there are many actions which just seem natural. I would recommend getting a touch monitor.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't reach my monitor from my chair without leaning forward, so a touch screen wouldn't be of any value.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My complaint about touch screens is that they have to be cleaned regularly, if used in the touch mode regularly. Your fingers leave your body grease/oil marks on the screen. Even with my W8.1 laptop, I use touch mode infrequently and carry a small Logitech mouse in my laptop case. Touch does give you the advantage of expanding and shrinking data on the screen. That's the function I use in touch mode the most. I'd get a touch screen, if I was you, and you still can choose using either mouse or touch mode at your convenience.

Thanks
    The preference is yours, but they do tend to be more expensive.
    Personally, on a desktop, I've got no use for it whatsoever.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks

New Monitor -- should it be touch screen

I think "No", unless one wants to be cleaning it every hour instead of every week. And sit so close that one gets even more eye strain!
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The preference is yours, but they do tend to be more expensive.
    Personally, on a desktop, I've got no use for it whatsoever.
    My current laptop and desktop are windows 7, non touch. I'm happy enough maneuvering around with my Trakpoint. On the other hand, I use a touch screen happily with my tablet and phone. What's difficult to imagine is how a touch screen would improve the desktop experience, though I'm in no doubt it would in some circumstances. The question is whether it's worth the extra expense and the loss of adjustablity of the monitor...

Thanks everyone for replying..

Thanks
    A touch screen on a desktop w/o true need is a waste. Buy your self another backup drive instead .
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for backup drive.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    See, I told you

Thanks
    Now if you want real world touch capability you can get yourself the new 50 inch 4K touch capable Surface display for only 6 or 7 grand.
    You could build it into an architect desk or place it on a wall at standing height and make it a quasi Donald Rumsfeld desk.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-06-11 at 00:45.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    See, I told you
    Indeed you did! In the end, I think it probably would be better to get a touchscreen, but after a great deal of research, it seems none of them offer an adjustable stand (except the Viewsonic, where the stand is too big for my small desk). So I may settle for a normal one and hope that Windows 10 is better than 8.1 for a keyboard...

Thanks
    It will be the same because win 8.1 is fine for a keyboard. I have 8.1 and don't need to use touch at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast