Thanks

reinstall on to THE SAME computer

I asked this question

Ok say I do the 'free' upgrade w/ one computer running W7hp family pack. I have a bunch of problems, bad backup Windows 10 just not working right. On August 15 I decide I need to do a reinstall on to THE SAME computer. What are my options? Can I do a fresh reinstall of W10 or do I have to do a fresh install of W7 then do a reupgrade to W10? Or would I be stuck w/ W7 if I don't want to shell out $$ for a new license or would that option even be available??
    here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...=1433341376414

and got this answer:
    Once you upgrade to Win10, whenever that may be, installation media will be available for download to do a clean install of Win10 on the system that you've upgraded. You should be able to reinstall Win10 to that system whenever you want... Even if it happens to be on August 15. You will not have to pay extra to reinstall on August 15... It will be just as free as it is on August 14 or 16. Microsoft has mentioned that the key will be embedded in the installation media and/or tracked by the Store app, so the system should just know if the installation is genuine, but because the final information on upgrading and installing is not yet available, it would be a good idea to keep track of your existing keys, just in case.
    Which MAY have been answered here already, I have not been following W10 threads much.

I asked another
    Now another q. I have installations of W7 HP from the family pack, can I upgrade to W7 pro w/ a W 7 Pro disk which seems cheaper? That would give me W10 Pro rights I believe.

To clarify: can I use the COA from an new W7 Pro disk for an AnyTime Upgrade ??
    Which has gone unanswered.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    q1 - the easiest option would be a Windows 10 reset. That is the equivalent of a clean install. You are supposed to be able to get an ISO file of the July 29 release. If you have that you can create installation media and do a clean install from there.

q2 - If you mean upgrade a Win 7 Home to Win 7 Pro and you already have a Win7 disc just use the disc. If you mean something different please explain further,.

Joe

Thanks
    I have W7HP installed.
    If I buy a W7 PRO disk how can I upgrade that installation to Pro ?

It would have been easier to do this from the beginning. I know it will annoy the heck out of me if I don't have the pro version. I was hoping to find a way to use the gpedit snapin w/ HP. (I guess I am just cheap) I have not found a way to do this w/o running a questionable executable.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    After you do a complete backup of the system, put the disk in the CD/DVD player and run setup.

Joe

Thanks
    So the answer is yes. I can upgrade a running system with a Pro disk. I will be checking out Ebay shortly.
    David

Thanks
    I got this from a vender selling W7 PRO.

You will get everything on this picture, including the product key on the back of the DVD sleeve. Key would only activate on Professional with service pack 1 installed. If your current system is not professional with service pack 1, simply reinstall your system with the DVD we provide.
    Makesure you backup all your important files before you do the installation as it will wipe out your system.
    I am still a bit unsure about this. I should likely be in the W7 forum too
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, you should always backup your system before a major change such as an OS upgrade.

If you are running 64-bit Win7 home and upgrading to 64-bit Win7 Pro it should be an upgrade not a clean install. It must be a clean install if you go from 32-bit to 64-bit or from 64-bit to 32-bit. NOTE: you should always be very, very careful buying software on eBay as much counterfeit software is sold there.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is my understanding that both W7 Home Premium and W7 Professional are on the same installation disk. The Product Key you type in determines which version you have when the installation is complete.