Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer crash after 15 seconds

I have a tower computer American megatrends system board, 3 hard drives (boot drive is SS) running Windows 7 Premium. It's ca. 6 years odl and has been running fine up to now.

On powerup, monitor displays splash screen, begins to boot for about 15 seconds, then system shuts down. All power goes off. There was one cryptic message about a temperature issue last night, but the system kept running.

This AM, no joy.

How does one begin to diagnose this problem.

(Sending message from my old Acre laptop.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Can you boot into safe mode?

Joe

Thanks
    If you can boot into BIOS you should be able to get mainboard temperatures.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-13)

Thanks
    There was one cryptic message about a temperature
    Check fans especially CPU fan for dust accumulation. You might ned to reseat CPU w/ fresh thermal paste if you have over heating.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just realized that posts here are time stamped w/o Daylight Savings Time! I was wondering how I missed Clint's post .
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I am quick enough on the keyboard, I can start the safe mode sequence, but the power cuts off after 30-40 drivers are loaded.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will take off the case and start dusting, etc. Thanks for the tips. Heat problem is my best guess at the moment.

My wife reminds me that this tower is actually about seven year old! <sigh> Maybe time to buy a new one . . .

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeldmann View Post
    Maybe time to buy a new one . . .
    It's always time to buy a new one.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Paul T, I needed that! :-)

Just spent a hour taking apart & dusting, checking connectors, etc. but the thing still powers off after 15-20 seconds. Humor is the only thing saving me at the moment.

I used to be fairly adept at hardware issues, but the technology has outgrown me, I'm afraid, just like working on cars. Removing the CPU? My God! Scares me shitless.

Well, any recommendations on a good tower system? This one has lasted a good long while so I can't complain. I do foresee problems:

1) I could transfer my SSHD boot drive to a new machine, but what about device-specific device drivers?

2) This old tower has three separate hard drives. They are backed up, but what happens when I try to restore to a new system with only one drive?

Arrgh! I see weeks of work ahead of me, and I've got several music show dates to rehearse for.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you've checked all the connections and re-seated the RAM, perhaps you've got a bad power supply. Do you have the tools to test it?

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did you watch to see if the CPU fan is actually spinning at high speed when you power on?

Jerry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Assuming you want to transfer the existing installation to a new system you need a paid version of one of our recommended backup / image programs (EaseUs To Do, Macrium Reflect etc). Make an image to an internal/external disk and create a rescue CD / USB. Boot the new machine from the rescue CD and follow the instructions to install to "bare metal". You will probably need a copy of the drivers for the new hard disk / graphics card / mobo chipset.

cheers, Paul

p.s. I built my current system using mid end components and an all in one mobo, but transferred the disks from the old box. Lots of fun and it goes like the clappers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2015-06-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I dont. But the system seems to start up as usual, just powers off after 15 sec.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

I have a fairly recent complete backup, using Paragon. Thinking of installing my 80 gig boot SSD to the new one, plus a larger HD for old data.

Any good suggestions for systems / components?

Thanks
    It sounds like either a PSU issue or the motherboard's heatsink is out of alignment (or CPU heatsink fan is dead).

Thinking of installing my 80 gig boot SSD to the new one, plus a larger HD for old data.
    Any good suggestions for systems / components?
    Yeah, start fresh and don't image old setup to your new system, you'll end up with a hell of a lot less of a headache when all is said and done.
    There's no reason you can't add the old SSD to the new system as a secondary drive. Pull the critical data off it and then format it.
    When you get a new system DON'T use the old SSD as a primary drive, if it's 6 years old it's too long on the toolth.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-06-11 at 00:55.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2015-06-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast