Thread: W98 Reinstall

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W98 Reinstall

OK...after much ballyhoo about "Explorer caused invalid page fault in PDM.DLL" and "Excel caused invalid page fault in VBE6.DLL", I am thinking it is time to reinstall W98. I have uninstalled Office 2000, left IE6 for the previous version, run System File Checker and found that 11 files seem to be corrupted or changed, run two registry cleaners, and defragged the drive.

When installing W98 from the orginal disk, can I install it to a directory on my hard drive in some way that might make this process easier next time? I have an HP 6635 with the original restore disk, and I also have another W98SE disk I purchased. Which should I restore and can I put the disk contents in a directory so I can extract files from the hard disk next time?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W98 Reinstall

I'd reccomend using the the restore CD, as it will know the contents of your "Original" computer. If you added a number of components after your original purchase, then you may want to use the actual Windows 98 CD.

Whatever method you choose, ensure you have the required drivers for all your hardware on diskette or CD... they can be a pain to get if your internet connection doesn't work right away!
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if you want to reinstall everything on your hard drive, backup your documents and other personal files. If possible, backup or image your entire hard drive. Also make sure you have all your installation CDs and keys or serial numbers are available. Also create a startup diskette (from Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk).

Then, if you are ready to take the risk:
    1. Boot your computer from Startup disk. When prompted, choose "Boot with CD-ROM support"
    2. From DOS prompt ( A: > ) type
    FORMAT C: /S
    Press Enter and type Y when prompted.
    3. After formatting is complete and hard drive is labeled, type C: and hit Enter.
    4. At C: prompt, type following commands, hitting Enter after each of them:
    MD WINDOWS
    CD WINDOWS
    MD OPTIONS
    CD OPTIONS
    MD CABS
    5. Insert your Win98SE Installation CD in the drive and type the letter of the drive (for example, E: ) - don't forget put column ( : ) after the drive letter. Hit Enter.
    6. Type CD WIN98 and hit Enter. If the hard drive letter is wrong, you will get an error message.
    7. At E:WIN98 > prompt (or another drive letter, whatever is correct) type DIR. If everything is right, yu will see a long list of .cab files.
    8. Type
    COPY *.* C:WINDOWSOPTIONSCABS
    and hit Enter.
    9. Remove your floppy, CD and restart computer.
    10. From DOS prompt ( C: > ) type
    C:WINDOWSOPTIONSCABSSETUP.EXE
    If you prefer, you can add /iv switch after blank spase at the end. This switch bypass Microsoft announcements screens. Hit Enter.
    11. During the installation process, you will be prompt to install Windows in WINDOWS.000 folder. Choose "Another Folder", WINDOWS. Confirm that you want WINDOWS folder.

Using this routine, you will never be prompted to "Insert your Win98 installation CD" once again.

Don't forget to visit Windows Update webpage. For the fresh installation, be prepared to download about 18 MB of security patches (It's better to install a new version of IE first, and all the rest of security patches next - different versions of IE requires different patches.)

Good luck!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks...exactly what I was looking for.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just one small suggestion...

Before typing
    <pre>FORMAT C: /S
    </pre>

You should double check that you can read the CD. It can be very hard to recover if you can't get to the CD after formatting your hard disk!

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just getting around to doing this, and your instructions, followed to the letter, worked beautifully. Ought to be one of those "flashing star" posts!

Thanks,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Thanks, printing this out for safe keeping much obliged. big help [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] NOW, I am looking for " how to"
    put win 98 se on hard drive - which has pre-loaded XP on it already. Daughter got a new one with XP and
    wants to put 98 on hard drive, think I have read where this could be done ?? booting up to win 98 on start
    up. One reason being, she has Office 2000 Proff edition - which I don't think will work with XP, and doesn't
    have the $$ to buy Office XP yet. appreciate it . te