5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No summer break from MS Office updates

PATCH WATCH

No summer break from MS Office updates

By Susan Bradley

It's a relatively light month for security updates, but both Office 2010 and 2013 get a slew of nonsecurity fixes. June's Patch Tuesday release was also bulked up with a bunch of reissued security updates for Office 2010 and some patches that prepare Win7 and Win8 machines for Windows 10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/no-summer-break-from-ms-office-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-06-10 at 20:29.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well despite my best efforts "Windows Anytime Update" appeared in my menu.

And optional 2952664 "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7" keeps unhiding after requiring Admin level privilege to hide it. How irritating.

Optional 3050265 "Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015" has some important updates along with the poison pill "General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows."

3068708 ugggg, I just cannot switch over to Mint fast enough. Even XP is looking better and better because you are left alone.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday evening, I did a manual check and there were 17 optional updates for Win8.1. My bet is many of these have to do with the upcoming Win10 launch; might, of course, be wrong. Not going to check why these updates are; just installed them and my system survived. lol

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Yesterday evening, I did a manual check and there were 17 optional updates for Win8.1. My bet is many of these have to do with the upcoming Win10 launch; might, of course, be wrong. Not going to check why these updates are; just installed them and my system survived. lol

Microsoft has moved the fourth Tuesday to the third Tuesday lately. Not all of them have to do with Windows 10 but a lot of them do. I'll be recapping them NEXT week and talking about about how patches are moving to the third but we'll keep reporting on the fourth to let us have the ability to watch for patching issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Susan. I've heard too that there won't be a patch Tuesday anymore for Win10 (i.e., everyday can be a patch day). We shall see. lol

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Susan as always.

With regard to this month's optional updates, I have seen a couple of reports of problems with KB3064209:-

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...-not-boot.html

I'd certainly value your recommendation on this one in due course!

EDIT: Not least because it's stated to be related to Intel processors and I'm being offered it when I have an AMD processor!
    Last edited by Tandor; 2015-06-22 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Win 7 Pro 32-bit, Office 2010, 3 MB RAM

I received KB 2965296 and KB 3054476. MS has a fuzzy description for KB 2965296 stating it provides "the latest fixes to MS Office 2010 64-bit edition." This is amazing since I'm using the 32-bit version.

KB 3054476 is supposed to "improve experiences running stream.sys driver-based applications in Win 7 SP1."

I would appreciate more information on the first of these updates, KB 2965296. Does someone know why I received it for a 32-bit version of Office 2010?

Regarding KB 3054476, would someone please give me a plain English version of what the devil this does. What is a "stream.sys driver-based application"? Installing this update is reported to cause "Windows Font Service to fail to start."

Thanks
    Fascist Nation, KB 2952664 also keeps popping up in my list of important updates. The article in InfoWorld at http://www.infoworld.com/article/2911609/operating-systems/kb-2952664-compatibility-update-for-win7-triggers-unexpected-daily-telemetry-run-may-be-snooping.html has some interesting information.

Woody Leonhard wrote here "Can somebody tell me why Microsoft is performing a telemetry run on PCs that have opted out of the CEIP? This results from an "important" update in the Automatic Update chute, for heaven's sake."

Hope this helps you.

Charles

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post

Regarding KB 3054476, would someone please give me a plain English version of what the devil this does. What is a "stream.sys driver-based application"? Installing this update is reported to cause "Windows Font Service to fail to start."
    My understanding is that this update relates to drivers for webcams, and if you don't use a webcam you therefore don't need the update. Hopefully that can be confirmed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-06-23)