Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection throttled

I have a puzzler for those experienced in network connections. We have a building with about 17 computers on a LAN with 3 servers, one being the DC. When I run a speed test of the internet connection from the server it reads 11MB up and 67MB down. Running on workstations most read 11MB up and 45MB down. However we have 2 computers that sit side by side that are both reading 11MB up and 11MB down. They are connected through GB ports to GB switches through the same connection to the internet as the server. There are no common connections for these 2 that are not common with the other computers in the building. Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this issue? I need to do it remotely as the building is 500 miles from where I am located. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do those PCs give the same speed results when used to move files locally? Create a couple of 10MB files and copy them to and from the server with Robocopy for speed details. (FSUTIL will create the files.)
    Are the PCs slow all the time or only sometimes?
    Is the network connection running at 100Mb or 1Gb? Right click on the network connection and choose Status.
    Is 11Mb down really a problem?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Do those PCs give the same speed results when used to move files locally? Create a couple of 10MB files and copy them to and from the server with Robocopy for speed details. (FSUTIL will create the files.)
    Are the PCs slow all the time or only sometimes?
    Is the network connection running at 100Mb or 1Gb? Right click on the network connection and choose Status.
    Is 11Mb down really a problem?

cheers, Paul
    Yes, they have the same speed when moving files to and from the server. The speed is all the time, not intermittent. The network is running at 1GB according to the status of the connection. Normally 11Mb down would not be a problem, but the users bounce from computer to computer (especially the manager) and they notice the difference in speed. They tell us it is effecting their ability to work due to slowing down the ability to work at a faster pace. So yes, it's a problem in that it only happens on 2 computers and they work connected to web logins on remote servers. They also call us several times a day complaining about the speed. The only thing the computers have in common with the server and other computers is that they are all connected to the same manageable GB switch, however it is NOT managed.

Rick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Swap LAN connections with a faster computer nearby?
    Do they all have the same login on the computers and do all users have the same speed restrictions?
    Is the connection to the remote systems RDP or browser? I can't see how 11Mb would seem slow for anything other than downloading large files??

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Swap LAN connections with a faster computer nearby?
    I will try to have them test this and let you know.

Do they all have the same login on the computers and do all users have the same speed restrictions?
    They all use different network logins provided via AD. All users have the same speed restrictions.

Is the connection to the remote systems RDP or browser? I can't see how 11Mb would seem slow for anything other than downloading large files??
    The connections they complain about to the remote systems is browser based. They are logging into a database on the remote server to modify and view data. The speed is only a problem because they complain about it and my Director says find out why this is so.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for your help,
    Rick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried a different browser?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Yes, we have used a couple different browsers on all the computers we tested. They all read the same. I will respond to this thread when I have tested the port by hooking up the network cable from the computer that is running at a faster speed sitting next to it. This will verify that it is the network and not the computer. This may take several days to accomplish as the users in the remote building are very busy and it would require them taking time to help us.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It does sound like a cable / switch port issue, but it may also be weirdness with that Windows installation.

cheers, Paul