Thanks

Virtual machines

I'm not sure that I'm in the right place, but I figured I could start here.

I tried using Ms's Windows Virtual PC, but I couldn't get it to run on my (64-bit) host. So I tried Oracle's Virtual Box, and had XP (16-bit) up and running in no time -- except...I can't figure out how to set up sharing between folders on the host and the VM.

I named the folder on the host, and gave rights to everyone to read the folder, but I'm not seeing it on the VM's list.

Any help or pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

jwoods
    I would recommend using VMWare Player.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/7_0

Thanks
    The problem there is you have to have the Workstation to create the VM, and I don't have the $200 or so right now for the latest version, and I'm pretty sure that v7 -- which I do have -- won't run without incident on "10."

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    The problem there is you have to have the Workstation to create the VM.

Chuck
    You don't need Workstation to create the VM...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21399...l-machine.html

Instead of using .VDI in Virtual Box for the hard drive type, use .VMDK.

The compatibility check in GWX for Windows 10 didn''t complain about my VMWare Player 7.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no need to switch to VMWare Player, VirtualBox can easily do what you want.

You said "I named the folder on the host, and gave rights to everyone to read the folder, but I'm not seeing it on the VM's list." However, the shared folders are actually setup from within the VM, you didn't mention what you did there. Did you open the "Shared folder settings..." option from the Devices menu in VirtualBox? On the Shared Folders dialog, did you click on the little icon of the file folder with a "+" on it? Once you click on that, you should be able to navigate thru the local folders on the host machine or even shares on the network and select one to share.

vb_share.jpg

Once you have a folder shared, in the VM it will show up under "Network places" as "Vboxsvr[your share name] on Vboxsvr". So, if you named your share as "MyShare" it would show as "VboxsvrMyShare on Vboxsvr". What I do then is use the "Map a network drive" option to assign a drive letter to that share so it appears in Windows Explorer as a drive.