Lounger
    Thanks

Unravelling 2 W2k Versions

My IE6 was giving problems and I landed up trying to reinstal W2K. Kept getting a message "looking for NT5info.cat" on the CD. It's there in compressed form and wouldn't load. So I used a friend's W2K disk and now appear to have two Win2000 OS's resident, one that works (the friend's) and one that doesn't. I seem to have lost my .pst files and when I try and run Office 2000, I get a message that I have to run Office Setup. But I can see the program files for all my Office applications on the HD. When I "Add/remove programs" all I see is "there are no programs loaded."

Can someone advise what to do please? DO I remove the malfunctioning OS and if so how? How do I get the OS to see my Office applications?

TIA

Jon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unravelling 2 W2k Versions

Bad news: you must install Office once again to make it work under another OS. (Explanation: Program files, that you can see on your hard drive, is only a part of Office installation. The second part is in the Registry, and each instance of OS - and each user account in it - has its own version of Registry.)

I would recommend to backup your documents, templates and other personal files, make a list of the programs you use and reformat your hard drive, then to install everything from scratches. Or, if you prefer to live with messed up hard drive...

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unravelling 2 W2k Versions

Uggh. Thanks for confirming my worst fears! One last hope. I see my new instance of W2k set me up as a new user, but the previous settings had me as "default" and those settings still appear to be intact. I also see that at least one of my programs is not accessible because the path doesn't include that directory. So is there a way to get back to where I was, including my .pst file, then do the backup and then start all over?