Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB LAN versus Hard-Wired

Hope someone can advise us on this... we just moved to a different home. Still Time-Warner. Our desktop in was hard-wired in the old place and it performed great (we have the most expensive Time-Warner service).

When the installer came to setup the new place he said he didn't want to drill lots of holes in the walls in order to give us hard-wired service for the desktop so he instead installed a USB LAN (I hope that's the correct term - it's a tiny device that looks like a zip-drive and it sits in one of our USB ports).

Interestingly, he installed the router upstairs, rather than next to the desktop (downstairs). The desktop does show "5 bars".

He said the performance is about the same as hard-wired, and so far it looks almost as fast as what we used to have (The TW Speed test shows 21.43 Download Speed and that is a lot slower than the 50+ we had at the old place).

I'm tempted to ask them to come back and drill the holes so we can get back to 100%, but my wife would prefer the no-hole approach.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks!

Alan
    Last edited by AlanB1; 2015-06-11 at 07:38.

Thanks
    The cable guys never seem to be good at cabling, an electrician would do a neater job but you pay for it. I would want to get the bandwidth I am paying for, depending on usage maybe you could downgrade and at least pay less.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-06-11)

Thanks
    I think what you are referring to as a USB LAN is actually a wifi dongle. If you're finding it slower than ethernet (hard-wiring) you could always try a powerline. This gives a connection through your mains wiring. I resorted to this when my desktop's wifi card gave up the ghost. As I'm in the UK I can't recommend anything but the Wikipedia entry might give more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication.

Others in the States on the forum could give advice about what might be good and what to avoid.

Just one more thing, if you go for this option then get a pass through one; this means you don't lose a socket as there's a socket on the adapter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-06-11)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If i might add, I use a Wireless adapter that is not much larger than the nano-receivers included with wireless mice, don't protude more than about 3/8 of an inch. Do be sure that the Router and any Wireless adapters are all rated the same to get the best speed of the LAN, use those rated at 802.11n or 802.11ac [the latest]. The speed of the LAN will usually be at the rate of the slowest device. Older Notebook have 802.11g adapters but if needing more LAN speed they can be disabled in the BIOS and then make use of the faster USB Wireless dongle. A suggestion [one of which I usually keep on hand]:
    http://airlink101.com/products/adapter.php

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-06-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not drilling holes is also faster and less hassle (lazy installer?).

The USB dongle will potentially be slower than a dedicated wireless card unless it's a USB3 dongle and your PC has USB3. Something like this might be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320071

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-06-12)

Thanks
    Something like this might be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320071
    and only $13 today! And a real antenna !!

you could always try a powerline.
    +1 for the Powerline adapter, just be aware of potential problems if used across different electrical circuits. Don't throw away the box before testing.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-12 at 09:32. Reason: Fixed link in "quote"
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    In the UK we have what are called consumer units. The powerline works if the sockets are all going to the same CU. If it's via another CU (we have one in an outside shed) than it won't work. Luckily I don't plan on running my PC in that shed (unless the tortoises living in it demand internet access!). That's why I suggested US guys on here could suggest solutions as I don't know how your power things work.

Thanks
    Alan, what makes you think the new home will have the same download speed as the old one?

Better to get a wired connection hooked up to the router and test what the download/upload speed really is before spending money.

Thanks
    Wifey and I "buried" a 100-ft ethernet cable from den to bedroom, snaking it underside furniture, rugs, and so on. Would something similar be an option for you in your UK home?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Roland, I always though North Carolina is in the US not the UK...

Thanks
    Roland, I always though North Carolina is in the US not the UK...
    I think it used to be ... but its falling behind.
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused.

comment removed because I am no longer confused.

THe guy installed a wifi adapter in your upstairs---you should have shoved him out the window.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-13 at 14:04. Reason: removed question

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would agree with snaking an Ethernet line if you can.

If not than the Powerline suggestion is a good one. Very unlikely the home is on two separate powerlines.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Netw...ategory/ID-294
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-13 at 14:17.

Thanks
    Very unlikely the home is on two separate powerlines.
    Well I certainly disagree with that! Do you have an electric range? Mostly 2 phase. Central Air?
    Not gonna work if it is on a different phase.
    Lots of other things could interfere. Just be sure it can be returned.

Not a bad idea just be cautious.
    David

Thanks
    you should have shoved him out the window.
    I'd hope you would have properly composted him/her.
    David