New Lounger
    Thanks

Volume control in Notification Area has gone missing

I have Vista running on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Up until about a month ago, I always had the little speaker icon in the Notification Area to control volume. This particular Dell also has function+hotkey volume control.

Suddenly, my volume control icon is completely gone (not even showing when I check the "recently used" in Customize) and the function+hotkeys don't work either. The sound card is still working properly, I just can't control the volume unless I go into Sound from the Control Panel (or use the native volume control in YouTube or whatever).

I thought perhaps it was some sort of Windows Update problem, so I made sure I was completely current on those-no change. Went back to a Restore Point when I think it was still working-no change. Ran a virus scan and Malwarebytes just it case it was that-no change. Googled for suggestions, nothing pertaining to Vista was found.

Anyone have any ideas?

jwoods
    Go to Control Panel and click on Taskbar and Start Menu.

Click on the Notification section.

It's likely set to Hide.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that works with Win8.1 also. Restored both the volume control and network connection icon, the latter more important with current connection problems