Ken Kashmarek

Thumbs down Microsoft Research Paper Considers Serving Web-ads From Localhost

See this SlashDot URL:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/06/...from-localhost

I would nominate the Windows Update settings module in Windows 10 for this function rather than that clunky adware style software bundling.

We need Microsoft to combat this sort of thing, not help to make it worse!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The research paper is nearly six years old though: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/p...aspx?id=120737

Ken Kashmarek
    Bruce:

I take it that from your alleged inference that the age of the paper makes it unworthy of consideration and that you would like others to believe the point of the SlashDot posting is invalid and won't happen.

Probably not always the case.

In fact, the actual reference is to this web page:

http://thestack.com/privad-saikat-gu...rtising-110615

which is referenced in the SlashDot post. That page is dated 11 June 2015, very current as far as I can tell.

A more recent copy of the paper is found at:

http://saikat.guha.cc/pub/nsdi11-privad.pdf

published in 2011. Read the "Addition:" section of above URL, something you seemed to conveniently ignore.
    ----------------------------------------
    ADDITION:
    It has been observed that this paper is from 2009, before its originator joined Microsoft. At the 'research' link above (which was present in the original article), you can find an advanced version of the same paper [PDF], with additional details of new research, under the new name 'Privad: Practical Privacy in Online Advertising'. This paper was presented at the Proceedings of the 8th Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Boston, MA in March 2011. There the author credits himself as belonging to 'Microsoft Research India', and provides an @microsoft.com email address.
    -----------------------------------------

So, the work is ongoing and apprears to address some issue for advertisers on the web. It will be interesting to see what steps Microsoft takes in this process.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for pointing out that the research paper was updated over four years ago.

Ken Kashmarek
    Really? Is that the best you can do, attempting to diminish a piece of work because you think it is out of date (or just old)? Get with the times. Not everything is new and not everything new is good. Microsoft Windows is old. I don't see you diminishing it.

It appears a number of references on the web think the PrivAd concept is valid. Microsoft must think so because the author of the work is now a Microsot employee (or was at the last reference of the material).

However, it is a foregone conclusion that privacy on the web is dead. But, those in the greed game want to implement something like this under the premise that it provides privacy to web viewers, while most likely that would not be the case.

Much of the web content/delivery today is based on marketing groups selling advertising on web pages. Never mind that such ads may seldom be clicked, that such ads are generally ignored, or mostly blocked. The concept is similar to selling ads in newspapers and magazines (ebooks are probably the next hotbed for ads). Lots of money is spent, little benefit is gained by those spending the money. Viewers are burdoned with excessive web traffic and interference with any actual web content.

Thus, PrivAd is somewhat of an attempt to make on-line ads more acceptable, most ostensibly to diminish or eliminate ad blocking (they will try to legislate that also). The downside is that such mechanisms, like many ads themselves today, are invasive or become invasive, and do more that just advertising (they can invade your privacy, collect data about the user, and use that data for purposes that may defy rationality with regard to the base premise: advertising a product for sale).

Marketing and advertising are the bane of the consumerist economy. Essentially, it is driven by greed. Most high volume, high cost, in your face advertisements are flawed, presenting false images of products, and protected by small print which attempts to release the advertisers from liability. In general, the purpose is to derive income for the marketer while often delivering a less than suitable product for the customer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Microsoft Windows is old. I don't see you diminishing it.
    I do diminish all except the latest Windows version.

But I only pointed out that Privad isn't new news.

He's since published six related research papers.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-26 at 14:02.