3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium or Acronis . . Pre-Win 10 Backup Plan

I would like to backup my Win 8.1 pc before MS auto-loads Win 10. I like the idea of one complete backup, a copy so complete (at least for OS and Apps) that in the event of a hard disk failure I could just install a new drive and then restore from a backup.

Of course, I know little or nothing about any of this, only that it sounds good. So what program should I choose, Macrium or Acronis? What sort of backup device will I need (will a 64Gb USB drive do)? If they both perform the same functionality, then which would you suggest has a better ease-of-use?

Any other tips, tricks or traps you can call my attention to would be appreciated.

jwoods
    Many good free and paid products.

I personally use Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows.

Take a look at the reviews on Gizmo's Freeware...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...g-software.htm

Try several, and make sure to test that the backups are good.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...image-backups/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Macrium and Acronis will all do that via an Image (or disk/partition) backup (backup C: and the boot partitions, usually 3 partitions altogether).
    I use Acronis and have done for years, but I prefer Macrium - I won't change because I've paid for the product and all my backups are in TI format.
    Others report Easus ToDo or Paragon are also good.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    For your purposes, Drive Clone Free is the best option. In the event of drive failure, all you need to do is swap the drives, no restoration required. You will, of course, need a second hard drive and a USB/SATA connector for it, but you could take the opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Lots of choices. I'll use these ideas as a starting point. Thanks to all for you replies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus16a View Post
    I would like to backup my Win 8.1 pc before MS auto-loads Win 10. I like the idea of one complete backup, a copy so complete (at least for OS and Apps) that in the event of a hard disk failure I could just install a new drive and then restore from a backup.

Of course, I know little or nothing about any of this, only that it sounds good. So what program should I choose, Macrium or Acronis? What sort of backup device will I need (will a 64Gb USB drive do)? If they both perform the same functionality, then which would you suggest has a better ease-of-use?

Any other tips, tricks or traps you can call my attention to would be appreciated.
    A 64 GB USB stick sounds to small,your main drive which you want to back up may have more files and data then that. Check you disk management by right clicking WIN button in bottom left corner.I have no experience in all this until recently and from that point of view I found Macrium Free easy and good after getting similar advice as you. I backed up onto a external 500 GB hard drive and used a 4 GB USB stick to put the rescue boot drive onto (I think its called that) as that only uses a little space.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus16a View Post
    What sort of backup device will I need (will a 64Gb USB drive do)? If they both perform the same functionality, then which would you suggest has a better ease-of-use?

Depends on what level of compression you use when making the disk image.

However, since you should be making full disk images frequently, and potentially keeping a library of disk images over time (3 or 4 months of verified "good" disk images), and doing an image before a major upgrade or changes to your system, I would purchase the largest external drive I could afford.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Depends on what level of compression you use when making the disk image.

However, since you should be making full disk images frequently, and potentially keeping a library of disk images over time (3 or 4 months of verified "good" disk images), and doing an image before a major upgrade or changes to your system, I would purchase the largest external drive I could afford.
    Is there a link you could please share about how to verify that disk image is "good" . I am able to copy data from the image to another disk and they seem fine or is there more to checking if it is good. The image is about the same size as what I copied so I'm thinking all is well.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    Is there a link you could please share about how to verify that disk image is "good" . I am able to copy data from the image to another disk and they seem fine or is there more to checking if it is good. The image is about the same size as what I copied so I'm thinking all is well.
    Fred Langa recently wrote this article in the Newsletter...

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...image-backups/