Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Install Programs from Drive D:\

This is the oddest problem I have run across and it certainly kept our IT folks scratching their heads until we figure out the problem and a workaround. I am putting this up thinking someone may know how to actually solve this.

I have a Dell M6800 with a 256GB SSD boot drive and a 1TB SSD data drive. Being a developer I need the space. To take as much load off of the boot drive as I can, I relocated all of my personal folders (My Picture etc) to the D: drive. I set my TMP and TEMP environment variables to point to D: as well. All of this lives in a folder called C_DATA. The boot drive is encrypted with BitLocker the D drive is not.

My download folder for Chrome and IE is set to D:\C_DATA_Documents\Downloads. I also will often install programs to the D:\ drive if the installer gives me that chance. Tuesday I went to load an evaluation of a commercial package and it would not install. The error was that the file could not be written to <Destination>. So if I ran a msi or exe to install from my downloads folder it always failed. I checked permissions. Tried running as the administrator (even though I am in the admin group). After hours of fighting with it, the answer is, install from C: and everything is fine. If the file resides on C: I can install to C: or D: no problem. If the file resides on D: no can install.

As I was digging around I noticed that my Downloads folder no longer has the Location tab in Properties. I am suspicious of some sort of a permissions issue. Anybody got any ideas why I cannot relocate Downloads and why I cannot install from drive D:?

Thanks,
    Doug

jwoods
    In Disk Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner, the owner should be TrustedInstaller.

The following accounts should have full privileges...

SYSTEM
    Administrators

Read & execute, List Folder Conents, Read

Users

Special Permissions

Authenticated Users

jwoods
    Are you trying to run the installer from the C: drive and install to the D: drive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Are you trying to run the installer from the C: drive and install to the D: drive?
    jwoods, I think he is trying to install programs from EXEs located on his D-partition [or D-drive] onto his C-partition [or C-drive] -- if I read correctly, OP has two physical SSD drives.
    I'm hoping OP earlier "hard-wired" the drive letters - C with the C, D with the D, because if such is not hard-wired, something else can claim the D letter temporarily.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Installers unpack to a temporary folder in the root of the drive. It could be that you don't have permission to create new folders in the root of D: but you do on C:.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much folks! I may have been unclear in my ramblings. Drive D: is where the exe to be installed lives. Running that file I cannot install to either Drive C or Drive D. Move the file to Drive C, doesn't matter where, and I can install to drive C or D. Doesn't seem to matter where I point TMP or TEMP.

Thanks,
    Doug

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you have folder create permission in D:\?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, if he simply shares the drives with Everyone, would that be a work-around for now? Until a better fix is found?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! As you can see the permissions are pretty wide open.

Permissions.PNG

Doug

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sharing isn't the solution if it's an NTFS permission issue. The installer account is a system process account and mucking around with disk permissions can prevent access by system processes.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you see the temporary install folder created under C: or D:? Look for something like this: 2ADC3EA0-4B4C-41b1-8B8C-67CEF1D847B7

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. TMP and TEMP in my Environment Variables point to D:\Temp. There are at least 5 temp folders like the one you describe.

Doug

Thanks
    Paul, how do I get my Windows 7 pro to create and keep such temp directories such as:
    C:\Windows\TMP
    C:\Windows\TEMP
    D:\Logs\TEMP
    D:\Logs\TMP
    I know how to do this in everything from WFW 3.11 and back, but, don't know such is done within Windows 7 Pro.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Start then right click the computer name. Click Properties. When the Control Panel-> All Control Panel Items -> System open click on Advanced system settings. When the System Properties Dialog opens click the Environmental Variables button. There you can set the TEMP and TMP for both your user and the system.

Doug

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's possible you have a group policy setting to exclude installation from certain locations and D is one of them.
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/04/h...arty-browsers/

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast