3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot update a program

I am using Win 7, and BBC iPlayer to download TV shows. It works well most of the time, but I keep getting pop-ups telling me that an update is available so I downloaded and ran the setup file, BBC-iPlayer-Downloads-1.13.1.msi. It ran briefly then stopped with following:

"Could not open key
    HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Installer\Folders. Verify you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I doubt that anyone in the BBC can conceive of it but I am my support personnel, all of them. thought I'd be able to "run as Administrator", but that's not an option. I looked at Properties. Under the General Tab it said, "This file is from another computer and may be blocked". Well there was an "Unblock" button. That seemed to work. So feeling well pleased with my effort I ran the .msi again.

And got: "Could not open key...

Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

jwoods
    Try right-clicking on the MSI file and select Run as administrator.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was my first thought, but as I said there is no Run as Administrator option. I just tried right-clicking on two other .msi setup files, it's not an option with them either. So it would appear that .msi files in general can't be run that way.

David

jwoods
    Sorry, right-click and select Install.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, Install gets me to the same pop-up. I suppose I can just ignore the update until the program won't work any more.

David

jwoods
    You might try downloading it from another site.

The other thing that comes to mind is you may have an older or corrupt version of msiexec.exe (MSI Installer).

If it keeps happening with other MSI files, you might try running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated Command Prompt.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-12 at 02:56.

Thanks
    @ Rhinoceros

You could try running the FixIt on this M$ webpage: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290301
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    You might try downloading it from another site.

The other thing that comes to mind is you may have an older or corrupt version of msiexec.exe (MSI Installer).

If it keeps happening with other MSI files, you might try running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated Command Prompt.
    Thanks for the inputs. This being a BBC program there is no other site from which to download. And I have no problems with other .msi files. I have looked for some way to get support from the BBC, but their Website is one of the circular ones, click on enough links and you get back to where you started.

I have tried the FixIt that you suggested Coochin, it didn't find any problem.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-06-12 at 15:35. Reason: More info

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it! First I changed the name of the file to 'iplayer', and moved it to C:\Temp (much easier to enter the command). Then used an elevated command prompt to run the setup. It worked.

David

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinoceros For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-13)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    This being a BBC program there is no other site from which to download.

David
    Actually, it's on github and Softpedia.

Glad you got it working.