New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 not opening in Windows 7

At least 3 times Word 2007 has stopped opening on my windows 7 home pc. I get the splash screen for Word but it will not open. Opening the windows task manager the winword service is running. The only way I know to fix is to uninstall Office 2007 and re install Word.

Any ideas.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Run the Windows System File Checker to ensure Windows is happy.
    Start > Run > cmd
    sfc /scannow

Rather that re-install Word you could try the repair option.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Run the Windows System File Checker to ensure Windows is happy.
    Start > Run > cmd
    sfc /scannow

Rather that re-install Word you could try the repair option.

cheers, Paul
    I tried this repair option but it did not work. Word still will not open.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    have you checked the Event Logs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    have you checked the Event Logs?

Joe

No I have not. What do I look for?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Errors in the application log in particular. Might give a clue about the issue with Word.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be relevant: Something similar to this has happened to me. It turned out that Word was running, but it was "off the screen." If Word is on the Taskbar, click the button to make sure it has focus (or use Alt-Tab to select it), then press Alt-Spacebar, release, and press X. This maximises the window. If Word then runs normally, that was the problem. To fix the position, press Alt-Spacebar, release, and then R (Restore). Word may "disappear" again. Press Alt-Spacebar, release, then press M (Move). The cursor will change to a four-headed arrow. Use the arrow keys to move the window up, down, left, and right until you can see it, then keep moving it until it is centred. Press the Enter key to set it. Now drag it or resize it as desired. When you close it, it should remember the position.
    To do this using the mouse: Click the Taskbar icon for Word until it has focus. Hold the mouse pointer over the button until the document thumbnail pops up over the Taskbar. Right-click the thumbnail and choose Maximise (or Restore/Move). Proceed as above.
    This situation can also occur if one is using multiple monitors, and one monitor is switched off. If a window is running off screen, click the icon on the taskbar to make sure the program has focus, then hold down the Windows key and tap the right-arrow key until the window comes back onto the screen. (Dave Bishop, Windows Senior Technical Writer)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger_cole View Post
    No I have not. What do I look for?
    The easiest way to get to the Critical, Error and Warning events from all administrative logs is through Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Adminstrative Events.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 sent me this relating to a printing problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Came across this article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...ernet-explorer and as a problem in one area could affect others, see if the steps do anything for you.
    Per the article you linked --------If it still does not help, KB973479 recommends that you reset low integrity level on the Low folder.

To do so, open command prompt as admin, type the following and hit Enter:

ICACLS “%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low” /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Alternatively, you can download and apply Microsoft Fix it 50677 to do so automatically.

Restart the computer.
    You will now be able to print or print preview webpages in your Internet Explorer.

I am now back to printing!!!

Do not know how this is related but Word 2007 now opens in about 2-3 seconds after fixing printing issue.

Sudo15 has fixed 2 issues for me today great job!

jwoods
    You might click on his Thanks icon (lower left hand corner of his posted solutions) for those 2 issues.