Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Pro IP Build 10130

I tried to install the latest updates but got stuck in a restart loop. As far as I recall, after downloading the updates I was told a restart was needed. I restarted and then got a working on windows updates screen which reached 67%, then I was told the updates could not be completed, and that changes were being rolled back. My PC automatically restarted and the same sequence of events occurred several times, until I gave up and booted into Win 7.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about this?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you running build 10130 and trying to install the patches released yesterday (6/11) or are you trying to install build 10130?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I am running build 10130 and trying to install the 11 June patches.

Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are running a third party firewall have you tried disabling it before running the updates? Have you tried the updates after a clean boot?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, as soon as I boot into Windows 10 the restart loop occurs, so how can I disable my third party firewall and/or get to a clean boot?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I tried to install the latest updates but got stuck in a restart loop. As far as I recall, after downloading the updates I was told a restart was needed. I restarted and then got a working on windows updates screen which reached 67%, then I was told the updates could not be completed, and that changes were being rolled back. My PC automatically restarted and the same sequence of events occurred several times, until I gave up and booted into Win 7.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about this?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    I just did the same upgrade on 10130 and had the same initial "could not be completed" on the first restart. Did another restart and had a notice that the first failed and would I like to retry? I allowed the retry and it went through. I have no idea what caused that other than maybe a faulty download. I understand this does not necessarily get your problem fixed but presumably one of your restarts/retries could go through.

Good luck!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    TOF,I must have restarted and retried at least 20 times but still get stuck in a never ending loop, i.e I am told the updates could not be installed and either a retry is started and "working on updates" gets to 67% and then stalls, in which case I get the "undoing changes" message and the PC then restarts and goes through the same routine again, or the PC goes straight into a restart and the loop starts again.

I tried restoring a Macrium Reflect backup image dated 9 June, prior to the updates release, and then checking for updates and downloading the same set as before, but it made no difference.

The only thing I can think of now, apart from the reset or clean reinstall methods, which I wish to avoid if at all possible, is to download standalone versions of the updates and try to install from them. However, to do this I need a list of the KB update numbers, and if someone could please give me that, better still with links to the updates, I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    Doesn't sound like you'll have much luck with Microsoft Update Catalog either...

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/609111817256710145

Click on "View other replies" at the top.

Six weeks until general release...we'll be fine.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-13 at 02:57.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the standalone installers from the Microsoft Update Catalogue, and tried to install the updates but the only one that succeeded was KB3065820, the update for Internet Explorer Flash Player.
    With regard to the other updates the standalone installers said they were already installed, but according to Windows Update they require a restart to finish installing, and when I restart the endless loop (unable to install updates, undoing changes, retrying, working on windows updates(which usually stalls at 67%, but even when it gets to 100% and my PC restarts the endless loop recurs) and then restarting occurs again.

At the moment I have restored a Macrium Reflect backup dated 6 June and will let Build 10130 pass me by and wait to try the next build.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them.

PS. Somewhere along the line I saw a reference to KB3058515-I did not download or try to install that. What was that update about, and would it have made any difference if I had installed it?

Please advise.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I've just had this "continuous reboot <--> Preparing automatic repair" loop after allowing the "slow lane" build 10130 to install itself overnight. I have no idea whether any additional updates were installed on top of the new build, but when I looked at the PC this morning it was just looping.

I, too, have reloaded from yesterday's Macrium Reflect full backup, and wonder whether I should wait for an even newer build which includes the problematic updates!
    Last edited by BATcher; 2015-06-13 at 09:49.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Strange. I was able to upgrade to 10130 w/o problem.

No "continuous reboot" etc. it just shutdown and started up with the new build (10130).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For other reasons, I did a clean install of 10130 via dvd ISO I downloaded. It took several reboots and many times appeared to be stuck, but I left machine alone for about 2 hrs and it eventually finished ok. But then it is a test machine that has nothing else on it and very few third party apps.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I made a mistake in post # 9. The Macrium backup restored build 10130, and I was still stuck in the endless loop regarding Windows Updates. I tried the reset option again but still had the same problem.

I clicked on "Contact Support" but nothing happened, and after a minute or so the Window closed itself.

Could someone please tell me when build 10130 was released to the fast ring, so that I can restore a Macrium backup predating that.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Roy,

According to the posts here it was May 29th 2015. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I made a mistake in post # 9. The Macrium backup restored build 10130, and I was still stuck in the endless loop regarding Windows Updates. I tried the reset option again but still had the same problem.

I clicked on "Contact Support" but nothing happened, and after a minute or so the Window closed itself.

Could someone please tell me when build 10130 was released to the fast ring, so that I can restore a Macrium backup predating that.
    Can't tell you the date but it came on the fast ring and about 3-4 days later a leaked 10134 appeared. I got it and as far as I'm concerned, it is head and shoulders above 10130. I have both on the same SSD and PC and that's my opinion. Of course I'm never wrong, unless I'm expressing an opinion to my darling Wife!!!

Sorry you are having those problems...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast