Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Unable to print from Vista to a shared USB printer on W8.1 machine.

Bear with me this is a bit long. I have a Vista machine, fully updated, service pack 2. I have a 8.1 machine with an older HP Photosmart 7960 attached via USB that is shared. I can browse from each computer to the other.

I can see the printer from the Vista machine by browsing the network. I can print a test page from the vista machine. HOWEVER when I open Office on the Vista machine (Office 2003) the print dialog box where the printer should be listed in the drop down box is blank. If I click the down arrow the printer is listed. If I then select the HP printer a message box comes up saying "The printer has not yet responded, the Microsoft Office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?" Office will not print.

I wrote the above thinking someone could answer here on the forum. BUT more one cruise around the internet and I finally found a real answer.

What you fuddle with #1 you might try #2 first. If that fails start over with #1. This saves changing permissions on folders.

1) Follow these instructions:

1) Share Permissions
    1. On explorer, go to C:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS
    2. Right click, Properties
    3. Sharing tab
    4. Advanced Sharing
    5. Check "Share this folder"
    6. Permissions
    7. Grant everyone Full Control

2) NTFS Permissions
    1. On explorer, go to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers
    2. Right click, Properties
    3. Security tab
    4. Edit
    5. Add
    6. Advanced
    7. Find Now
    8. Choose "NETWORK"
    9. OK
    10. Grant NETWORK Full Control

Then 2)

http://tinyurl.com/nn72pw4

From a different web site:

Eventually, I realized what was causing the issue. When I used the Add Printer wizard, I was selecting “Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer” because the printer was being shared over the network. However, the Officejet (in my case Photosmart) uses a USB connection; even though it is technically acting as a network printer, Vista needs a “local port” to print to! That meant I needed to select “Add a local printer” and create a new “local port” for my networked printer.

Quite convoluted but after literally days of searching this was the fix that worked for me

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe this should be in the Vista forum, sorry.

jwoods
    Does the Vista machine have the printer drivers for the HP printer installed?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Does the Vista machine have the printer drivers for the HP printer installed?
    Best as I can tell HP doesn't make drivers for this specific printer beyond XP. There are generic drivers which give all the control I need. I think what goes away is the printer sending messages back to the computer. "you're low on ink" or whatever. Most folks probably have newer printers. When you finally get the printer to "add," the drivers come over from the 8.1 machine.