Star Lounger
    Thanks

updates better to remove if I dont install win 10 ?

On a 6 year old acer I can't install win 10 : I did the check and MS indicated: CPU not supported by win 10. (intel U9400, dualcore 1.4 GHz.)
    I have now uninstalled KB 3050265 and KB 3035583. (The history of updates disappeared also, but "installed updates" is still there)
    I prefer to uninstall everything unnecessary as the machine has become very slow from the updates that where intend to be the final ones for win7 on.
    Are there other updates in preparation for win 10, that I can uninstall also?
    Thanks for listing them.
    Ferdinand

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is that Acer a Notebook or a Desktop? Most Notebooks have a 'throttling' process where the actual CPU speed is lowered, sometimes about half speed, in the interest of saving battery power. Sometimes the full speed doesn't return when plugged into normal power, called AC in the US. Could be the update is reading that speed, right-click My Computer and Properties to check what is being reported, also Run dxdiag to check. Belarc's free Advisor can help. If it's a Desktop, can't hurt to make the same checks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieten View Post
    On a 6 year old acer I can't install win 10 : I did the check and MS indicated: CPU not supported by win 10. (intel U9400, dualcore 1.4 GHz.)
    I don't know about the updates, but my 2006-era AMD Athlon 64x2-3800 runs W10 fine. My concern before I installed the TP was whether the cpu had the required NX/XD capability, and once I found that it did, I went ahead (my MS upgrade check failed as the partition I was running it from was only 12GB in size, and MS thinks you need ~25GB, and having found a smaller disk, stops any further examination - dumb or what?). Your cpu was only introduced in late r2008 (according to CPU-world) so I would expect it to be OK.

That's not a guarantee, of course: if you want to try W10, I'd make an image of your current OS, check that its OK (the tricky part), then go ahead. Why am I suggesting this? Because I have found W10 to run rather well on my old hardware (currently dual-booting with XP), whereas W7 on a newer, faster AMD machine is something of a slug, so you may be pleasntly surprised.

That said, I'm not sure that W10 is ready for prime time yet, in spite of MS' plans. I won't be upgrading my W7 machine.

If you are in a position to, you could install W10 in dual-boot mode, thus preserving your W7 setup. To avoid W10 taking over the boot process, you will need a separate hard drive to do this.

HTH, Martin

Thanks
    FYI - It's a 10W dual core mobile CPU, 1,4GHz max.: http://ark.intel.com/products/36697/...Hz-800-MHz-FSB

jwoods
    See this recent thread for a list of KB's (depending on your OS)...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...85#post1006885

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all
    I disable the 4 updates for win 7 related to win 10.
    But as suggested I will give win 10 a "try-out" with a image of my "C" (I separated programs on C from data on D. ) at hand. Thanks Mngerhold, I never imagined to gain speed by a higher OS from Microsoft. For me this thread can be considred as answered (more than expected even ;-)