Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kernel-power crash

I've got a relatively new (Feb 2015) HP Desktop running Win 7 Pro, 8 GB ram - in the last couple of weeks it has been crashing in the middle of the night. I've tried a few things, got rid of a couple programs I thought might be at cause, but it is happening while the darn thing is asleep. Event log shows this below:

No code has to be inserted here.

It is quite annoying on a new system - the "old" one was 5 years old and had never crashed. It isn't overheating, nothing is running and the desktop sits by itself on a file cabinet with nothing on either side of it. Any ideas what might be happening here? I do see some "errors" in the log relating to a controller, but this random reboot is really annoying. I had HP build this system in preparation for Win 10 specifically. I'd planned on waiting until a few months after Win 10 arrives before installing it but if it can fix this issue, I might end up being an early adopter anyway. Thanks for any help you might have. :^) gene
    Last edited by genej313; 2015-06-14 at 13:30.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the Event Log?

Does it crash if you do a clean boot?

Joe

Thanks
    edit and certainly follow Joes advice.
    no responses when I started to write

It sounds like something is wrong w/ event viewer.

try :
    a
    chkdsk /f
    and then a
    sfc /scannow
    both from elevated command prompt
    Right click command prompt and select runas
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2015-06-15)

jwoods
    Check Task Scheduler and see if anything is scheduled to run in the middle of the night.

Go to Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Administrative Events to see what kinds of errors Windows has been logging.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    edit and certainly follow Joes advice.
    no responses when I started to write

It sounds like something is wrong w/ event viewer.

try :
    a
    chkdsk /f
    and then a
    sfc /scannow
    both from elevated command prompt
    Right click command prompt and select runas
    I actually did do that sfc found corrupted Windows files but could not repair all of them it says. Didn't try chkdsk though, will. If some system files are corrupted, the system does still work, apart from the random crash. I imagine I will have to do a full reinstall, though as the machine is under warranty still, I believe I'll call HP as I went there too yesterday and updated the bios as I read that might cause this. Though it seemed to work, the bios still shows the old date, not the new one, and so does msinfo.exe. Thing there is, that should have been an automated process but their support assistant wouldn't download cleanly and the error message said to call them about that too. I was able to do the manual update though. Still, I think I'll dump it in their lap. And hope I don't have to full re-installation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    ...Though it seemed to work, the bios still shows the old date, not the new one, and so does msinfo.exe...
    Have you tried to update the date/time by right-clicking the clock in your taskbar and selecting "adjust date/time". If you did were your changes saved after a reboot?"

If date/time settings are not saved between reboots then you probably need to replace the CMOS battery on your motherboard. The CMOS battery provides power to allow your computer's motherboard to save date/time and other settings between reboots. If the CMOS battery is flat the settings will not be saved.

Don't assume that a fairly new system "must have a good CMOS battery" - depends on how long the system sat on the shelf before you got it.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Have you tried to update the date/time by right-clicking the clock in your taskbar and selecting "adjust date/time". If you did were your changes saved after a reboot?"

If date/time settings are not saved between reboots then you probably need to replace the CMOS battery on your motherboard. The CMOS battery provides power to allow your computer's motherboard to save date/time and other settings between reboots. If the CMOS battery is flat the settings will not be saved.

Don't assume that a fairly new system "must have a good CMOS battery" - depends on how long the system sat on the shelf before you got it.
    Time/date are okay. Odd thing. When I ran sfc it created a log, CBS.log which I can't open from my normal administrative account. Access denied. But I'd used Fred Langa's suggestion and created a superuser admin account which did open it. Thing is huge, I saved it as a .txt file under that account, but can't find that file when searching under my normal admin account. There were tons of errors in it. When that account opens, my browsers are there, but with no history, as if they were all being used for the first time. And it has a different desktop. So I couldn't get back here as my passwords are stored through the normal admin account. Sigh. So, what I'll try to do, is use the other account to move that file to my external drive and then come back here and try to append it. But it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to reinstall Windows completely which will be a major pain to be able to get the uncorrupted files. I'm not sure how system files get corrupted either. Since this is a new installation of Win 7 Pro, I might be able to get Microsoft support with this too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If this is happening when nobody is on the laptop then the buggy app responsible is likely running unattended. jwoods is correct, find the app that is updating or whatever while the system is ostensibly shutdown. If there is nothing in task scheduler then check lastwake.

On the other hand, you (OP) are correct...it is under warranty make HP do it (likely remotely).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2015-06-16)

Thanks
    @ genej313

Don't fret about the CBS.log thing.

I would suggest you should next look up the model number of your PC on the HP Support website and download/install any newer BIOS/UEFI update.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2015-06-16)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ genej313

Don't fret about the CBS.log thing.

I would suggest you should next look up the model number of your PC on the HP Support website and download/install any newer BIOS/UEFI update.
    An update. After a lot of trial and error, mostly error, I decided to dump the whole thing in HP's lap. Spent two hours on the phone with them, actually did have to do a full system reinstall, but somehow through that whole process the remote connection only broke down once. We tried everything first. And I found out some new things I didn't know. And one I suspect has something to do with the problem - have read through the whole thread on Fred Langa's superuser admin account. I had one of those too and I think this all started after I created that even though I wasn't in it. Because after the fix yesterday, and reinstalling programs (the new thing I learned is that iTunes does not backup cd's loaded to it by me, only those purchased through iTunes Store - and you can't load to iTunes from an iPod or iPhone, you have to redo all the dang cd's again - which isn't all a bad thing as this time, I'm unchecking some of the songs from each one that I didn't actually want on in the first place, every album has some, even greatest hits aren't always) we had gotten HP's support Assistant working again - I was getting an error message when trying to download the automated bios update, windows installer was broken, after the system reinstall, it worked just fine. Until I recreated that superuser account, even though I wasn't in it, the installer broke again, so will be back to HP about that.

Something else I learned - the support person I worked with told me NOT to grab Microsoft's version of Win10 when it becomes available but to wait until HP has its version for me. My system is still under warranty and that includes the operating system files, so HP apparently is going to do whatever they do for Win10 for new machines for people who also have machines under warranty - I actually, for the first time, extended my warranty because I don't exactly trust this new machine - and then provide it to us from their site for free as well. In 25 years of owning and working on personal computers, this is the first time I've ever actually had to do a complete operating system reinstall, so maybe it was just time, can't dodge every bullet forever I guess. But the system is up and running, cleaner actually as I decided to skip reinstalling some stuff I don't really use. But I was able easily to get my Malwarebytes Pro reinstalled, Office, and software firewall. It is just so dang putzy doing all that again. I'm not exactly sure it really was corrupted files, though the HP guy was after looking at cbs.log (which as noted in the other thread can't be accessed directly, but can be under the super user admin account, or through the process described in the other thread, I didn't try that since I was able to read it and so was HP) but maybe was that bad update mentioned in the other thread. In any event, so far, it hasn't been rebooting itself, though the installer is broken again. I was able to manually download the bios update and install it that way, so that part is okay. Odd thing though, is the HP site is trying to offer me a "needed" graphics update that says it is for Win8.1 and they know I have Win 7 Pro. I'll ask them about that too.

It was a piece of work reinstalling Pale Moon, let me tell you, I had to bring back the various elements like bookmarks and cookies individually from my external hard drive. Also booted up the machine I replaced so I could remember all of the addon's I was using and CoolPreviews which I have used for years and still have on my machine is no longer in FF or Pale Moon's list of addons. I do wonder what happened there as that is a handy little tool I use a lot. Anyway, thanks for all the advice here, I do appreciate it! :^) gene

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For future ref. if you need to view the CBS log without all of the bumf, in a normal command prompt run as an admin, enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

and that will place an icon on the desktop and when double clicked will open in Notepad.

To view it in its entirety, right click on the CBS log and Send to Documents which won't give the Access Denied when trying to view it.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    Something else I learned - the support person I worked with told me NOT to grab Microsoft's version of Win10 when it becomes available but to wait until HP has its version for me. Odd thing though, is the HP site is trying to offer me a "needed" graphics update that says it is for Win8.1 and they know I have Win 7 Pro. I'll ask them about that too.
    You can find out for yourself by running the Window 8.1 Upgrade Assistant from Microsoft...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    For future ref. if you need to view the CBS log without all of the bumf, in a normal command prompt run as an admin, enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

and that will place an icon on the desktop and when double clicked will open in Notepad.
    With the added benefit of being able to post the smaller "sfcdetails.txt" file in your thread if you need further assistance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If the op still has corrupt files, try running sfc /scannow, and then run SFCfIX.exe. See the following link:

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

I did this and the corrupt files found by sfc /scannow were repaired.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    If the op still has corrupt files, try running sfc /scannow, and then run SFCfIX.exe. See the following link:

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

I did this and the corrupt files found by sfc /scannow were repaired.
    Another update. Recovery manager didn't work, running it from the D: partition - twice. Once with HP remoted in (system is still under warranty). So they overnighted me a new set of recovery disks, I installed those but this time before I reinstalled anything else, I ran sfc /scannow and found it still reporting some system files were corrupted and it couldn't repair them. So the decision is it is likely a hardware issue and they're sending me a prepaid FedEx label and box to return the machine to them and they'll fix it there. I still have my old system which I am using right now, a Home Premium 64bit Win 7 version. The "new" system has Win 7 Pro. Funny thing though is everything worked except not being able to download updates from HP and, of course, the random rebooting while idle which is how I first got the idea something was not right in Denmark. If it were still here, I'd try the sfcfix option, but HP guarantees they will fix it. So we'll see how they do at their shop as their online support couldn't get it working. Thanks for all the ideas! :^) gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast