Thanks

Windows Defender tray icon disappears

The tray icon for Defender is set to show up, and ait did, but now it's gone. It shows as "on" in the "Select which icons appears in the taskbar", and did, but now it's gone -- still showing as working, just no tray icon.

Is there a known issue or fix for this in Build 10130? I saw other posts about this, but no fix that I can see.

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I do not have now, or ever have had a Windows Defender icon in my notification area. I do not think it is supposed to show. You can try this. Open notepad and paste what I have put below here in to it. Than save it as "Notification Area Cleaner.bat" with the quotes. This will save it as a .bat file automatically. Run it. You will have to choose once again what you wish to see.

@echo off

:: Notification Area Cleaner
    :: WARNING! This utility restarts your shell (Explorer.exe) and clears your notification area icon cache

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify" /v IconStreams /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify" /v PastIconsStream /f
    start "Shell Restarter" /d "%systemroot%" /i /normal explorer.exe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Which build are you running? The tray icon appears on both systems which I have running build 10130.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Which build are you running? The tray icon appears on both systems which I have running build 10130.

Joe
    I have been running every build since Windows 10 first came out (not all at once,) and have never seen the tray icon.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I had found a way to make it show & described it in some IT Forum, maybe this one. But, it is not there by default nor will it stay after a reboot. However, it will & does show IF WD needs attention by the End User... otherwise there is the confidence that it is just quietly doing its job, even w/out an icon in the Tray.

If I recall correctly, it does not show all the time in 8.1 (Sys Tray), either.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43672

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I have been running every build since Windows 10 first came out (not all at once,) and have never seen the tray icon.
    My question was to the original poster.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Drew,

As I said above, the icon shows on both systems I have running build 10130. One is Pro on an SP3. The other in enterprise on a older desktop. Neither has any action required by WD. I recall reading something about the WD icon being enabled. Perhaps Microsoft is performing an A/B test to gauge reaction.

Joe