Lounger
    Thanks

Netflix on Win 8.1 Pro issues

Hi, I was having problems with the Netflix app on Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit). It'd start okay and get me to the movies/shows browser but whenever I tried to watch a show it would tell me there was a problem with the DRM or some such thing. I searched & searched the web and the only solution I could find was to create a normal user account and try from there. I did that and it all works fine. So why doesn't it work from my main user account that has admin privileges (not the "Administrator" account which is disabled)? At least I have a workaround (not a solution).
    By the way, the same happens when I try to watch Netflix from Firefox, so it's not particular to the Windows Modern App itself.

jwoods
    You might take a look at this Mozilla article on DRM content in Firefox...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but that doesn't help because the problem occurs in the Windows 8 App as well as firefox, so its not FF specific.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by dweebken View Post
    Thanks, but that doesn't help because the problem occurs in the Windows 8 App as well as firefox, so its not FF specific.
    Right, I answered the Firefox DRM question because you had mentioned you fixed it for Windows...

Quote Originally Posted by dweebken View Post
    I searched & searched the web and the only solution I could find was to create a normal user account and try from there. I did that and it all works fine.
    Since Netflix uses Silverlight, I would suggest brushing up on Microsoft DRM with Silverlight, and learning how it works...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...8VS.95%29.aspx
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-18 at 01:16.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

dweebken (2015-06-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Right, I answered the Firefox DRM question because you had mentioned you fixed it for Windows...

Since Netflix uses Silverlight, I would suggest brushing up on Microsoft DRM with Silverlight, and learning how it works...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...8VS.95%29.aspx
    Thanks for the pointer to Silverlight. So I uninstalled Silverlight and rebooted. Then I cleaned the registry with my favourite tool CCLEANER and rebooted again. Reinstalled Silverlight, and Netflix is now working properly within Firefox on my main account. Thanks for this tip, it really helped!

The Netflix Windows Store app is still broken on my main account (works okay on a separate account, so there's some config problem somewhere), but at least I don't have to switch accounts now, as I can watch it happily in FF. Thanks again for the pointer!

jwoods
    Glad to hear it's working in Firefox.

You might check on the Netflix Support page and see if they have more info on their app...

https://help.netflix.com/search?q=Ne...dows+Store+app

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Glad to hear it's working in Firefox.

You might check on the Netflix Support page and see if they have more info on their app...

https://help.netflix.com/search?q=Ne...dows+Store+app
    I'm chatting with Netflix Tech Support now and they will research a solution over the next few days.

Summary of what I've tried so far:
    1. Uninstalled Silverlight, cleaned the Registry with ccleaner & reinstalled Silverlight: that fixed the FireFox browser netflix viewer
    2. Uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled the video drivers downloaded from Lenovo & updated them from Windows update/rebooted again: Netflix App still gives error code W8156-80040153 on playing a video
    3. Updated my system BIOS (there was a new fix for battery problems last month): not fixed
    4. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Netflix Windows Store App (many times): no difference
    5. The netflix windows store app works in a new standard-user account set up just to test, but not in my main login admin-group account.
    6. Tried other video programs in case its a content-related issue: same problem

Snap1.png

I'll post again when & if the tech support comes up with things to try
    Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by dweebken; 2015-06-19 at 01:51.

jwoods
    Interesting they didn't reference their own article on Error W8156-80040153...

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/11637

There is also a WS Lounge support thread on a slighly different error number that mentioned issues with decoding DRM content when Hyper-V is enabled (post#2)...

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...28Metro%29-App

You might look at that possibility.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-19 at 01:59.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My comments were a summary only, but re their own article on Netflix, they probably didn't need to reference it because I told them I'm already on an admin-level account where the problem is happening, and the problem doesn't happen on a normal-level account newly created for testing on the same machine. So there's no point in going to that article. And I don't use a guest account either (its disabled). So the first link gets me no brownie points.

Re the second link, thanks but I found that slightly different error numbers can and often do talk about quite unrelated issues. I've been exploring a lot of links on the web for similar error messages but they all ended up in dead ends. For example, the message you refers to only applies to machines with AMD video cards. Mine has an Intel HD Graphics 5300 (Lenovo Yoga 3 13 Ultrabook). I wasn't prepared to remove Hyper-V on spec because I didn't meet the prerequisites for that error and nobody told me how to restore Hyper-V if the test doesn't work or how to check whether Hyper-V is enabled or not. Besides, if it was Hyper-V then why isn't it an issue on the normal-user account? I might research this angle a bit more, but I think it'll be another loose end.

Thanks for the suggestions. As Thomas Edison said, the thousands of tests that didn't result in the desired outcome (i.e. light bulbs that work reliably) are not failures, they're in all cases learnings!

Update: I found how to check Hyper-V (its in "Turn Windows Features on or off"), and it was off. Also VT-x was turned off in the UEFI/Bios. I turned them on and rebooted just to see if it made a difference. Nope. Still have the same Netflix Windows Store App error message. No difference. I'll put it back the way it woz.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by dweebken; 2015-06-19 at 05:11.