Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird now comes with Lightning

Thunderbird now comes bundled with Lightning. A few other tweaks as well.

Thanks
    But what does that mean? I assumed there would be a menu item, but it seems to imply I've got to download Lightning, which doesn't make it bundled to me. Or am I missing something?

jwoods
    I read it as it will be installed automatically with TB 38.

The user can disable it (like any add-on) if not wanted.

Thanks
    Well I have 38 now (38.0.5) and there's no sign of it. And the links supplied take you to pages where it says to download it....

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Well I have 38 now (38.0.5) and there's no sign of it. And the links supplied take you to pages where it says to download it....
    You'll have to take that up with Mozilla.

I'm on the release update channel, and just installed 38.0.1. Lightning 4.0 was included.

The release notes are located here...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/

Thanks
    Oops, it is TB 38.0.1 I have as well. Where was Lightning on yours?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Oops, it is TB 38.0.1 I have as well. Where was Lightning on yours?
    TB Toolbar.jpg

You can access the calendar from Events and Tasks on the toolbar, or the Calendar icon on the top right above the toolbar.

Thanks
    Sorry I haven't responded for a while, my PC has just died. I'll try it out when it's fixed. Replying on my tablet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lightning has long been a feature of WordPerfect Office, for which Thunderbird is the recommended mail client. WP had their own Mail at one time, but I think it was a flash in the pan (for which I paid the added price). I presume this is the same Lightning being added directly to Thunderbird.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    About Lightning:
    "Corel WordPerfect Lightning allows you to view, create, and capture content in a variety of ways. You can use WordPerfect Lightning as a notebook, a project folder, and a document viewer, all in one."
    It does come with WordPerfect X3 and X6 [the ones I have installed Win7 and Win8.1]. The Mail application is present on WP X3 but not on WP X6. On WP X3 its Mail has a Calendar in the bottom left corner of the window of the Inbox.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    About Lightning:
    "Corel WordPerfect Lightning allows you to view, create, and capture content in a variety of ways. You can use WordPerfect Lightning as a notebook, a project folder, and a document viewer, all in one."
    It does come with WordPerfect X3 and X6 [the ones I have installed Win7 and Win8.1]. The Mail application is present on WP X3 but not on WP X6. On WP X3 its Mail has a Calendar in the bottom left corner of the window of the Inbox.
    It was with X3 that I purchased Mail, and it has its own serial number. Some or all of my installations are of the Home and Student variety, and I have a nearly-forgotten four-CD Family Pack that included WordPerfect and other programs without the trappings of Office.

At present I have WP Office X5 and X7 installed on different machines. My impression of Lightning is that it was a means of incorporating a cloud capability into the suite.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-06-19 at 08:38. Reason: Corrected terms

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silly question coming up - never heard of Lightning until today - what is it and do I need it?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Poltor View Post
    Silly question coming up - never heard of Lightning until today - what is it and do I need it?
    Not a silly question at all.

Lightning is a calendar add-on for Thunderbird...

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/projects/calendar/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, that's a different Lightning from WordPerfect Lightning or Avanquest Lightning PDF or who-knows-how-many-other Lightnings.

I think I'll take a look at that - I recently discovered and began to use Efficient Man's Organizer Free, which looks to me like a terrific offline organizer, but it's still a matter of casual interest to shop around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    TB Toolbar.jpg

You can access the calendar from Events and Tasks on the toolbar, or the Calendar icon on the top right above the toolbar.
    I now have my PC back and working!

Interesting, I don't have that menu item or the links at top right. And it is 38.0.1 as well. And I've reinstalled TB as it had an error with XPCOM being missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast