New Lounger
    Thanks

AMD 990FX Chipset Incompatible with 2 SSD's in a RAID 0?

This post was originally written for another post that is over a year old, that a guy name Bill Created, who was having very similiar problems to mine. Unfortunately no solution was ever found, and when I tried to bring some life to that post (I signed up to this forum just to reply to that post) I found out that I can't reply to a post that is more then 399 days old, lol!

But regardless, after reading through the forums, I see that their are alot of other hardware nuts out there like my self who like to solve problems, and I'm hoping one of you can help me because I am at a loss. I am just going to paste the reply to the other post below, because I don't want to go through the whole thing and re word it, but I will also put the URL to that post, so you can see the same problems bill was having. I'm sorry in advance for writing so much, I just know how much I hate trying to help someone who didn't post enough information, so I'm trying to be as thorough as possible.

Original Post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...X-chipset-RAID

Hello Everyone. I know this is a dead post, but I am having a very similar issue as Bill with my BRAND NEW ASUS m5a99fx pro r2 board (Purchased from NewEgg and first used on 4/30/15 and 5/2/15 respectively.) It too uses the 990fx chipset and has a problem with dropping a hard drive out of the RAID array. I have also been using RAID for years, and have not yet come across this problem. I however, am used to using RAID at work, with Server Builds with hardware raid cards. This is my first time using RAID at home. The difference between me and Bill is that he was using anything between RAID 1 and 6 for Redundancy I believe he said. I am only using RAID 0 for Performance and am doing image backups. Because I am only housing the OS and a few installed programs on the array, I am not real paranoid about redundancy and backup, I am a backup NUT when it comes to my Data, but that is all backed up several times over and completely seperate from this new build. This is a build I am doing just for fun, and wanted to see what it would be like to have a boot drive run at around 1000Mbps Read and write.

I have 3 sets of 120 GB SSDs, all brand new. I have a Set of OCZ AMD R7 SSDs, OCZ Vector 180 SSD's, and Samsung 850 EVOs. I orignally bought a single R7 to boot my Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate build at the same time as my ASUS m5a99fX Mobo, and absolutely loved the speed. However when I bought the build, I had the upgrade to RAID 0 in mind for the OS. So on my next pay check 2 weeks later, which was only 2 weeks ago, I bought the 2nd 120 GB R7, installed it, and put it in a raid 0. It works GREAT for a while. But me being a GEEK, wanted to benchmark and see how much faster of a speed I was getting. So I ran various Benchmarking tools. Before the Raid upgrade I was getting around 520 Read and 480 write with ATTO, and after the stripping I was getting almost double at 1005 Read, 920 write, and of course cracked a huge smile! Of course I didn't stop with just ATTO and began running further benchmarks. Thats when I discovered the problem. ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, sometimes sooner than latter, BUT IT ALWAYS HAPPENS, the computer completely freezes and automatically restarts. At first I thought it was a problem with one of the SSD's, so I bought a PAIR of the Vector 180's because I was so happy with the R7 I wanted a slightly better drive with the same proven components (at least when running as a single drive.) Again, the problem persisted. So I decided to boot a clean Windows 7 installation off of just one of the R7 Drives on a separate controller (My Mobo has 2) I pulled all my drives off of the Main AMD controller and Kept only the 2 OCZ intended for RAID, and put my boot drive on the second ASMedia controller. I booted up to the single drive, and then ran a Benchmark on the RAID 0 Array.

Again, without Fail, the Raid Fails, except for this time instead of Restarting, I get an error in the benchmarking program, and my drives are COMPLETELY GONE in computer Management. Not even doing a rescan of drives brings the array back, I have to completely restart. After further testing, its not just the Benchmarks that brings this on. I can sussefully boot from the RAID and do something like surf the web for more than an hour without problems, but anything that requires real throughput on the array (Like Mixing a song in Pro Tools, or Touching up a Video in Vegas Video, or doing an edit in PhotoShop, using the array as the drive that the programs are installed on) causes the array to Fail. When I reboot and use Control F to access the RAID BIOS, it says the Array is Fine and Ready for use, like nothing happened. After talking to ASUS, who I have trusted for over 14 YEARS now, they always say something else is the problem. I still have many ASUS products that have never failed me and always seem to make me smile, but my recent experience with their customer service is really making me start to think twice about buying their products again.

I finally convinced my self to grab a NEW SET of drives, the Samsung 850 Evo's, there was a deal on NEWEGG that I just couldn't pass up for the pair, and I put them in a RAID 0, and again, the same exact problem. I am about to spend $220 on a hardware RAID card, one that I'm used to using at work just to solve this problem.

But I don't think I should have to put a lowend server grade card into my desktop, just to get a decent RAID 0. The lower end $40-$150 cards on newegg don't seem good enough because most work on a x1 or x2 lane, which won't give me the necessary throughput, and the ones that claim to run on a x4 lane, if you do the research you find that the specific (Usually Marvell) chipset was designed to run on a x2 lane, not to mention the reviews are littered with bad experiences. So it seems my only real option is to get a lower end Server card that uses an LSI Chipset, just to do a simple RAID 0.

Another Side note is, when running any of these drives, plugged into the AMD ports in a software Windows Based Array (Using Computer Management) there are absolutely no problems (Except for I obviously can't boot from it this way). To me, EvERYTHING points to the AMD chipset, but I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I have upgraded and downgraded to every driver offered on the ASUS Website. Finally I even went straight to AMD and downloaded their latest RAID drivers for the 990FX chipset, and again, got the same result.

The fastest way I found to replicate the problem was to use the program HD Tune to scan the drives, and usually about 2/5ths the way down or so, I get LBA errors and the drives drop out of the array, and are no longer accessible to the OS until a reboot. If I am booted to the array when I run this test, it freezes and then restarts without a BSOD, if I am not booted to the array, then the array just disappears from the OS. As I said, I unplugged any other drive from the computer completely except for the AMD R7 SSD boot drive, which is on the second controller, the only thing on the AMD controller is the 2 Samsung SSDs in a RAID 0. I have searched this problem for the better part of 2 weeks, and so far this is the only other post that I can find that is close to my problem, and I wanted to know if it was ever fixed, and if anybody has any other ideas of what I need to try. This seems to be a pretty popular board, I would think that someone else would run SSD's in a RAID 0 on the 990FX chipset. Are me and Bill the only 2 with problems? Or is there a solution that I am just over looking? Any help would be much appreciated. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. AND sorry for the HUGE Post, I hope all the info helps though.

Matt

BUILD:
    ASUS M5A99FX Pro r2.0
    AMD FX8350
    OCZ AMD R7 120GB SSD (Boot)
    2 120GB Samsung 850Evos
    2 120GB OCZ Vector 180s
    16 GB (8gbx2) GSkill DDR3 1333 Ripjaws x
    Rosewill 700W Modular Power Supply

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Clint said in the old post: "Do you have the most up-to-date drivers and BIOS? (drivers downloaded directly from AMD)" I would add is the firmware if any up to date on the SSDs?

That said it sounds to me like AMD's issue, not ASUS'. Their controller (SB950?) simply cannot handle the speed...assuming all the above is up to date.

I would definitely not use more than two matched (make, model and ideally firmware) SSDs in a RAID 0 array...at least until it is proven stable. Even though it is usually not necessary anymore I would make sure one SSD is on an odd number SATA port and the other is on an even numbered port.

Fun experiment. Disappointing results. I'd contact AMD with the results and see if anyone is home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

MattTheTech (2015-06-17)

Thanks
    Have you tried the AMD drivers listed here for RAID?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

MattTheTech (2015-06-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Fascist Nation, ive seen a few of your other responses to other peoples posts, and i got to say, i 100% trust your judgement, not to mention youhhave an awesome sense of humor. So i was glad to see you threw in your advice to my long a$$ post, i really appreciate it!

I have already upgraded the firmware on the SSD drives, thats the first thing I did when I got each set. Im surprised I didnt meantion that in my novel above, lol. But yeah, not only is the Firmware up to date, but because I know that there is most likely not going to be TRIM once the RAID is built, I have done a secure erase using the SSD utilities, before I rebuilt the array each time. I do have to say, that before the array fails, seeing the OCZ Vectors in a striped pair hit 1040 Read, 1005 write was an AMAZING almost DIVINE experience, lol... then the array fails again, and I feel like tge devil is playing tricks on me, lol... Not even the 850 Evos made it that high in a striped pair, and the Vectors did it consecutively every time Ive tested them unt the fail, and when I use a windows built array, it hits right around those numbers every time, the Vector 180s are easily my favorite out of my 3 sets. I installed GTA5 on the windows built array on those drives, just to see what my wait times would look like, their about 3x as fast as on my ps4, its freakin amazing! I really dont have time to play games these days, and when i do have spare time, I find myself doing experiments lke this to have fun knstead, but it was cool to see how much of a difference the drives would make. I just want tk be able to have the OS installed on the array, so I can see how much better (if it is at all) the striped array would be in day to day operations, then just 1 ssd.

As far as the drivers, they are also up to date, however Satrow just made a suggestion to try some drivers from a link he posted, Im not sure if any of the listed AMD drivers are the same as any I tried, but im about to find out. I I am about done with my last client of the day (just waiting for an image to restore and make sure it works) then im headed home to experiement more.

I also read somewhere else, that I should try turning off CSM (Compatibily Support Mode {or something to that effect}) on my bios, and just boot purely UEFI, which I havent tried, so Im going to give that a try.

My windows install is actually a legacy install, but in one of my past experiments for fun, i was able to actually convert my install to a UEFI install using Acronis 2014, so Im going to do that again, and then rebuild the array, turn off CSM, and see if it does the trick. I think Ill try the drivers from Satrows post first though. I will post my findings here when I am finished, fingers crossed!

Thanks for your interest you guys, I really appreciate it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for the email regarding my old posting. I really can't help you as I have not found a solution. I also upgraded to Samsung 840 EVOs some time ago. No differences. I don't remember if I mentioned in my post that I also sent my Sabertooth board in for an exchange. Latest drivers, latest board, still no solution.

I now just use a larger single Samsung 850 EVO and make lots of backups.

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by billrice; 2015-06-17 at 19:44. Reason: spelling

8. The Following User Says Thank You to billrice For This Useful Post:

MattTheTech (2015-06-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Bill. Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, your thread ended with you stating you were waiting on a replacement board from Asus, you never said if that had fixed it, I hoped it had. So you seemed to confirm mine and Fascist Nation's suspicion that is a limitation of the AMD 990FX chipset. I hope someone else sees this post who has a 990fx chipset and has successfully ran RAID with SSD's. I would like to know what is different with their setup verses ours, but I suspect it is just a cold hard reality with this chipset.

One more question for you Bill. Does your board have CSM (the compatibility mode that allows you to boot to both UEFI and Legacy Roms? If so was yours enabled when you ran the RAID??? I was wondering because someone said elsewhere that disabling CSM on Asus board might solve the problem. Thanks for your time and your quick response!

Matt
    Last edited by MattTheTech; 2015-06-17 at 20:08. Reason: Correcting Errors

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    That said it sounds to me like AMD's issue, not ASUS'. Their controller (SB950?) simply cannot handle the speed...assuming all the above is up to date.

I would definitely not use more than two matched (make, model and ideally firmware) SSDs in a RAID 0 array...at least until it is proven stable. Even though it is usually not necessary anymore I would make sure one SSD is on an odd number SATA port and the other is on an even numbered port.

Fun experiment. Disappointing results. I'd contact AMD with the results and see if anyone is home.
    I forgot to answer your question, yes it is the AMD SB950 Controller. And I have tried them in Even/Odd Pairs, (port 1+2, port 3+4) and for sh*ts and giggles I even tried Even/even and Odd/Odd Pairs (1+3 and 2+4) It unfortunately didn't make a difference, although I agree with your suggestion, it used to be, and sometimes still is when dealing with Server's and Enterprise grade Controllers, that running RAID works best on Sequential Pairs starting with an odd Number, thats just how they were built, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to make a difference on this controller...