New Lounger
    Thanks

Blank DOC1 (word 2000)

When I opened word a blank DOC used to come up. Now when I open word a doc I had saved some time ago comes up as DOC1. How do I reset things so a blank doc comes up when I open word?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blank DOC1 (word 2000)

Hi KCO

It may be that Word is AutoRecovering a document that you were working on when Word crashed. Once you have found where that location is: Tools|Options|File Locations|AutoRecover files, open up that folder in WIndows Explorer. If you're sure that you really have saved that document, then delete any files you find there with the .wbk extension.

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blank DOC1 (word 2000)

Hi KCO:

Auto recover files have an .asd extension; the .wbk is for backup copies.

What happens if you try to create a new blank document once Word is opened? If you get the same result, it means that somehow, you either replaced normal.dot with a copy of your document saved as the normal.dot template or you somehow pasted the text of your old document to normal.dot.

Another possibility is that you are starting Word from a shortcut that points to your old document. You can right click the shortcut & choose Properties & then look on the shortcut tab for the target line. Make sure it looks like:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficewinword.exe"

with nothing after the quote. Note that your path may differ.

Hope this helps.