5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SFCFix.txt not created in this case

Computer: Gateway SX2110G Windows 8.1 (x64) desktop upgraded from Windows 8

I did this Windows 8.1 upgrade from Windows 8 last week
    --- For me thatís an accomplishment as Iím not familiar with Windows 8
    --- The computer was not in good shape when I got it but I got it up and running very well
    --- When it was in its pristine condition, I created a system image and system repair disc
    --- Windows Updates wanted to automatically install Windows 8.1 and I let it do so and that went very well also
    --- Since then I have been using the computer without any problems other than what I had to learn as a Windows 8.1 newbie

Today I ran sfc /scannow not because it appeared to be needed, but I wanted to see what it would report
    --- It reported: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations
    --- That sounds like a good thing to me especially from what Iíve researched on the Internet
    --- However, SFCFix.txt was not created on the desktop as I was expecting
    --- Is that normal in this case?

jwoods
    SFCFix.txt is the results file created by the SFCFix tool from Sysnative that you run manually.

SFC logs its results to CBS.log.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-15 at 19:35.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the sfc /scannow comes up clean then there's no point in looking at the CBS Log, but if it says there are files that it cannot repair then copy & paste the following command into a Command Prompt (Admin) and that will put the nitty gritty bits of the CBS log onto the Desktop.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Edit - Apparently the forum doesn't allow you to copy & paste bits so you'll have to enter it in long hand, but I have this command in a Wordpad doc so I can copy & paste it from there.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-16 at 05:34.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your answers. Since the report showed "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" I'll leave well enough alone.
    I wish I would have kept the website I had found about using sfc /scannow as it indicated the SFCFix.txt is automatically created on the desktop
    --- Maybe I misunderstood it
    --- However your advice is much more valuable to me than whatever that article had

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-15)