Thread: The letter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The letter.

What a farce those in control has done to our nation. If they cannot identify who hacked US, then it's time to replace those that suppose to know how with ones that actually do. If the dirty deed has indeed been pulled off by China, then that's more then an act of war and it's time to do some real damage to our cyber enemy and I'm not talking about using just intangibles. Sorry about sounding too political, but this is not a political issue with me. Goes well beyond that.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/the-f...608640376.html

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We do not want another war ever!
    Please leave political discussions for other fora.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    State-sponsored hackers have been pulling off cyberattacks for years.

The disturbing part of the situation to me is what Donna Seymour, the CIO of the Office of Personnel Management said...

"Encryption and data obfuscating techniques are new capabilities that we're building into our databases."
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-16 at 02:24.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well the NSA spies on everyone, from US allies to US adversaries, so it seems hardly an act of war to acquire US data the same way the US acquires similar data from other nations. The actual means may be slightly different, but eavesdropping or stealing it through network breaches is not essentially different.

It would be wise to bolster cyber security, though. A situation such as the recently discovered one is potentially very damaging to US security. Best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

"Encryption and data obfuscating techniques are new capabilities that we're building into our databases."
    Yeah. WTF , expecting a letter any day now.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They already admitted that 14 million folk had their PII exposed. Do you folk really think it's just those that have ever worked for the US government (soldiers/civilian et.al.)? They only admit that 14 million folk's PII were exposed. Trust me; it's going to be a lot worse (like everyone that files for income tax). Again, the obvious question is, what's going to be done about this?

jwoods
    Implement those "new" encryption and obfuscation techniques into databases.

Thanks
    Opm
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes; all the double-speak names like OPM is such a joke Wavy. lolol

Need to get some real IT folk involved to fix the computer systems that affect all of US. It's bad enough when a business gets attacked and a lot of customers have their information compromised (like what happened to me during the Target fiasco; they are still on my s-list of businesses that I no longer patronize), but, when you whole country's at stake, we need to have the best of the best working to keep our data safe. Currently, it's obvious that we don't; not even close.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Yes; all the double-speak names like OPM is such a joke Wavy. lolol

Need to get some real IT folk involved to fix the computer systems that affect all of US. It's bad enough when a business gets attacked and a lot of customers have their information compromised (like what happened to me during the Target fiasco; they are still on my s-list of businesses that I no longer patronize), but, when you whole country's at stake, we need to have the best of the best working to keep our data safe. Currently, it's obvious that we don't; not even close.
    You apparently have never worked for a government agency.

Excerpt from the June 9th podcast Security Now! with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte...

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Richard Blech is the CEO of a cybersecurity firm, Secure Channels, and they work with many federal agencies. He said: "It's not even the money as much as the process involved. Everything gets caught in government glue."

"I've worked with these guys, and you have to go through layers and layers of groups and committees to get anything done." He said: "It practically takes an act of Congress to change the computer system." And asked about them not being encrypted, he said he was mystified that the data in these federal breaches are not encrypted. And then, independently, he said, sort of editorializing, he said: "Government networks," the way he characterized them, "are an exponentially growing sprawling mess, and they are nearly impossible to protect. The Einstein intrusion detection system senses network behavior events. But if you don't know what's normal, how can you ever detect what's abnormal?"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bureaucracy is the problem no doubt jwoods, but still, we are talking about the PII of every person in the US. We need a solution yesterday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Bureaucracy is the problem no doubt jwoods, but still, we are talking about the PII of every person in the US. We need a solution yesterday.

Go back to paper only, maybe?
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Worked for over a century wavy; may have to do so again. We traded convenience for security. When it comes to PII, we need to return back to security. I did contact my creditors and banks to inform them of the letter; nothing more I can do but keep looking at my assets daily.