Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible to record streamed video?

The EU have done something to encourage the arts, as a diversion from their usual string of regulations about what we may eat and the type of electric lights bulbs that are permitted. They are subsidising www.theoperaplatform.eu to show operas and ballets from 15 opera houses around Europe.

It began transmissions with an undistinguished Traviata from Madrid, followed by Szymanowski’s rarely performed ‘King Roger’, which has a silly story, but ravishing music and a haunting aria for the soprano. Although I missed the live performance – attending a wedding in Finland – I have since seen and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been unable to find a recording of the work, hence the question as to whether it can be recorded to my PC, and if so, how?

Anyone interested in opera would find it well worth watching. It’s available on demand until some date in October.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been unable to find a recording of the work, hence the question as to whether it can be recorded to my PC, and if so, how?
    Yes, there's several programs available on the Internet. Personally I use the free Ant.com toolbar on Windows and Mac OS X when I want to save a video from Youtube, usually in .flv or .mp4 format. Then I can play them in the VLC player, also free. I can also use Windows Media Player for the .mp4 files.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I like their regulations on use of low energy light bulbs.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I tried to download Ant for Firefox – the only option on offer – but nothing happened. Investigating revealed it had been blocked by FF as unsigned, with a message about potential malicious sites. It’s somewhat disconcerting when an add-on for FF is blocked by FF itself. Could it be corrupted, or do you think it’s safe to overrule FF and authorise the installation?
    Looking through the 50 sites Ant is designed to work with the vast majority seem to be You Tube type sites for sharing short videos. Will it work with 2 – 3 hour operas? Netflix is on the list, which is encouraging. I could commence a free trial and download a film, but am unwilling to commit to a 12 or 18 month contract for unlimited broadband until the problem of the increasingly frequent disconnections is resolved.
    You mention .flv or mp4 format, which are meaningless to me. How would I know which to choose? Sorry to be a pain, but this is a new area for me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

cheers, Paul
    I'm glad you do, but then you probably don't have two chandeliers and find it almost impossible to find bulbs that will fit. Also the ban on pearl bulbs is infuriating, clear bulbs give a much harsher light, and I'm sure it makes scarcely any difference to the global warming.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Progress eh!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    cheers, Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    I'm glad you do, but then you probably don't have two chandeliers and find it almost impossible to find bulbs that will fit. Also the ban on pearl bulbs is infuriating, clear bulbs give a much harsher light, and I'm sure it makes scarcely any difference to the global warming.
    Global warming is a modern day Myth.

This sort of "regulation" is nothing more than an effort to control the population to sustain an elite class.

For Youtube capture, this has been working for me and I use FF:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...o-dow/?src=api
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Global warming is a modern day Myth.
    Climate change isn't.

This is a site I use to record and download the audio from YouTube videos...

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-16 at 15:51.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Climate change isn't.
    For sure, but that's a fact of existence on Earth, like gravity.

Video downloader (FVD) Chrome extension handles a lot, for Youtube I use this URL capture site.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For Youtube capture, this has been working for me and I use FF:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...o-dow/?src=api
    Thanks Russ. Installed it and found a 2.5 minute video interview with a company in which I hold shares (unfortunately, as the share are at a 10 year low, 90% below the price I paid).

Didn't really know whether I was recording or just watching, but all was well and it was there on the desktop. Audio and video quite acceptable, for speech at least. However, i don't see how this if going to allow me to record from theoperaplatform.com.

So still hoping for a solution.
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to your theoperaplatform.com Opera site and once Verdi - La traviata started playing I used the Ant. com toolbar icon to Download it. It will save as an .mp4 file of about 2.4GB, on my 1Mbps Internet service it will take a bit over 10 hours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2015-06-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. As mentioned in #4, I was put off by FF blocking the installation as potentially malicious, but you appear not to be having any problems, so will give it a go.

Surprised that downloading is so much slower than watching on line. Will have to let it d/load overnight - seems that it will take more than the 8 hour period outside my 10 GB monthly allowance, but not by too much. In any case, can't let it monopolise the PC for most of the day.

However, I'll be surprised if it's able to run for so long without disconnecting. If it does fail I'll just hope that the current problem is resovled before mid October, when King Roger becomes unavaiable. It's not very encouraging that my next door neighbour has the same ISP and the same difficulties. The phone line is probably defective, or too far from the exchange - if the latter, will need to switch to cable.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2015-06-17 at 11:58. Reason: ADDITION

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Surprised that downloading is so much slower than watching on line.
    I find that to be true with larger files but then I have to keep in mind that it is writing to a drive so I Pause the playing and just download to play later. Using other than the C: drive for saving can impact the download time. Most times I save to the C: then move the videos later to a larger USB drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Climate change isn't.

This is a site I use to record and download the audio from YouTube videos...

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
    You are correct "Climate Change" is an on-going process that has been around since 'Day 1'. However the notion that it is 'man made' is an out & out lie IMHO. ;-)

Thanks for www.ant.com it looks quite good.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    However the notion that it is 'man made' is an out & out lie IMHO
    For the sake of your kids I hope you are right, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast