Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 not dictating in Word 2007

Although Dragon boots normally, I am unable to dictate in a Word document. I believe the Word add-in (drgword.dll) is required for dictation in Word and it does not appear in Word Options add-ins. However, following the path for adding this (Word/Word Options/Add-ins/COM/Add) does not work. I can select (highlight) the drgword.dll in the "Add Add-ins" dialog box but then nothing happens, i.e., it does not "add" . Contacting Nuance Tech Support with this situation yields a typical response- "...we no longer support version 11 as it is a legacy version". I have seen this in the past with Nuance products, if you do not have the "latest and greatest", you can pretty much forget about support from them. If anyone has any ideas that bear on this situation, specifically on how to install this necessary Word add-in, I would certainly appreciate the help!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My experience with Dragon, relatively old now, is remove and re-install to fix. HTH.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It sounds like the Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) add-in for Word may no longer be registered correctly.

Try this:

1. Close all programs.
    2. Click on the Start button.
    3. Type cmd in the Search programs and files text box (but don't press Enter).
    4. Wait until cmd.exe appears as a found item.
    5. Right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    6. Click on the Yes button to dismiss the User Account Control dialog that appears.
    7. Type the following then press enter:
      regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking11\Program\dgnword.d ll"
      Note that this is for when DNS is installed in a 64-bit Windows system. If installed on a 32-bit system, use the following instead:
      regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking11\Program\dgnword.d ll"
      IMPORTANT: the forum's crazy formatting adds random spaces to long filepaths - it's dgnword.dll, not dgnword.d ll!
    8. Close the CMD dialog.
    9. Start DNS then try Word 2007 again.

If it's still not working, try this as well:

1. Click the round Office button.
    2. Choose the Word Options button at the bottom of the dialog.
    3. Click Add-ins.
    4. If NatSpeak Word AddIn (dgnword.dll) does not appear in the Add-ins list then it has been disabled.
    5. Select Disabled Items from the Manage dropdown list at the bottom of the dialog, then click Go.
    6. Highlight dgnword.dll in the Disabled Items list and click Enable.
    7. Click Close then click OK.

PS - In my experience, re-installing DNS sometimes introduces its own issues. If you have to do this, I suggest you uninstall DNS first and then use the DNS remover tool before re-installing. See How to completely uninstall Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 for more info and a link to the remover tool.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-06-16 at 17:10. Reason: Added more info and fixed typo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. This would be a "last resort" but if all else fails...

Thanks
    Oops... almost forgot.

1. If you use the DNS 11 remover tool to clean up after the uninstall, make sure you use Run as administrator otherwise it won't have the right permissions to remove all the registry keys.

2. DNS v11 was widely recognised as being buggy. Make sure you download and install the Service Pack to bring it up to v11.5. See General information about the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5 Service Pack for more info about how to get it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-06-16 at 16:25.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, thanks for the post! I think you are on the right track as far as re-registering that dll is concerned. I used your code in cmd and it failed saying that version 12 was not valid so I changed the code to NaturallySpeaking11 and got the return that was "not a valid module" or some such.

I have gone through the Word Options routine (several times!) and the problem there is not that dgnword.dll is disabled in COM. It simply is nowhere to be found in Add-ins at all and the "Add" routine in COM does not work.

I may have to do as Paul (and you) have suggested and uninstall DNS and then re-install. If I do uninstall I will b using Revo Uninstaller at the highest level which will remove all traces of the program which is often not the case using the native Windows Add and Remove routine in Control Panel. I am, however, going to hold off on the uninstall/re-install routine for a bit to see in any other Loungers might come up with any additional helpful info.

Thanks
    Oops... sorry, I meant version 11 obviously. (I was copying/pasting from some of my old notes from back in the day I had to support about 5 different versions of DNS.)

What Windows are you using? 7? 8? Is it 64-bit or 32-bit?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-06-16 at 17:14.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick- I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and (obviously) Office 2007. I still don't understand why I can't add the missing drgword.dll in Word Options/Add-ins.

jwoods
    Steps to re-enable from the Nuance support knowledgebase...

Please follow these steps to re-enable "dgnword.dll" for use with Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Outlook 2007:

Launch Microsoft Word or Microsoft Outlook.

Click the Office button.

Choose "Word Options". or "Outlook Options".

Click "Add-ins".

If "NatSpeak Word AddIn" (dgnword.dll) does not appear in the "Add-ins" list then it has been disabled.

Select "Disabled Items" from the "Manage" dropdown list, then click "Go".

Highlight "dgnword.dll" in the "Disabled Items" list and click "Enable".

Click "Close", and then click "OK".
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-16 at 20:14.

Thanks
    As a matter of interest, can you open an Explorer window, navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking11\Program folder and 1) check that dgnword.dll is actually there, and 2) right-click on it, choose Properties then click on the Details tab (just to see if you get an error indicating the file is corrupt).

The reason I ask is because I've just used regsvr32 to un-register dgnword.dll as a test and it still shows up as a COM add-in in Word 2007.
    present.png
    Click to enlarge

The only way I can duplicate what you're seeing is if I simulate dgnword.dll being corrupt. I did this by renaming dgnword.dll to dgnword.dll.old then created a new text file and renamed it to dgnword.dll. That's the only way I can get it to not appear in Word 2007's COM add-ins.
    corrupt.png
    Click to enlarge

As a result I suspect your dgnword.dll file may be missing or corrupt, otherwise it should either show up as a COM add-in or in the Disabled list.

(When I re-named dgnword.dll.old back to dgnword.dll in my VM it was immediately recognised as a COM add-in in Word 2007... even though I hadn't re-registered it with regsvr32.)
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-06-16 at 21:53. Reason: Added more info

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods- thanks for the post. There is nothing in the "Disabled Items" list. Therein lies the problem (and the "Add" in COM does not work for me either).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick- dgnword.dll is where it should be and the Details tab gives no indication that anything is amiss. Bit of a mystery going on here... And, as I have previously indicated, it does not show either as COM add-in or in the disabled list.
    Last edited by ExiledMainer; 2015-06-16 at 21:43.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMainer View Post
    jwoods- thanks for the post. There is nothing in the "Disabled Items" list. Therein lies the problem (and the "Add" in COM does not work for me either).
    I would consider uninstalling and reinstalling Dragon NS 11.

Thanks
    Back when I was supporting DNS, this would be the point at which I uninstalled, cleaned then re-installed DNS as there's no Repair function.

However, Office 2007 does have a Repair function so I would try this first. In Control Panel > Programs and Features, select MS Office 2007 then click on the Change button in the header toolbar. When the Change dialog appears you will see an option to Repair the Office installation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All-

I (finally!) bit the bullet and completely uninstalled and re-installed Dragon. Everything is now working properly. Why it ever went "belly up" in the first place remains a mystery. One final item of interest- with the re-install, Nuance pushed the Opera browser onto my computer with no prior warning. What's that about???

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your posts. All's well that ends well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast