New Lounger
    Thanks

Get Windows 10 icon doesn't appear on domain-joined computers

I have a small business and run Server Essentials 2012 because I have more than 10 machines (I was on Windows Home Server.) The Get Windows 10 icon does not appear on any of my computers. Over the weekend, I powered up an older, non-connected desktop and the GWX icon appeared.

How is Microsoft going to handle personal computers that are connected to a domain simply because there are more computers than WHS can handle? And if I installed the Server Connector with the domain hack, would GWX appear?

Thank you,

-Larry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would not want W10 to appear as an option on domain connected computers because a. users would not have permission to install it, b. I wouldn't want auto install and the support nightmare that would be and c. I've probably tailored Windows to only have certain things available and W10 will have different things.
    The bottom line, I want MS to NOT offer W10 on the domain, which seem to be what they've done.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I am the only one who uses these computers for video editing, I would want to use Windows 10. Seems like the only way I could would be to uninstall the server connector, and let it install.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Which OS is installed?

As long as you are NOT running an Enterprise SKU there will be an ISO available to download.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

jwoods
    Actually, you really don't need the GWX icon.

You can use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant to check compatibility (I used both, and they matched...in fact, Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant was more detailed).

You can "reserve" using Windows Update.

However, I'm sure there will be enough downloads to go around.

Also, keep in mind the download weighs in at around 3 GB, so you may want to roll out one machine at a time ("un-reserve" and download manually).
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-16 at 16:15.