Thanks

CMD starting directory

I found the solution:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...directory.html

How can I get CMD to start somewhere besides C:\Windows\System32, preferably C:\?

Putting anything in the "Start In" line doesn't seem to help at all.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-06-17 at 02:50.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

jwoods
    That's the location where cmd.exe resides.

Why would you want to change it?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    See what a little bit of research on your part can do?

Thanks
    I can vouch for that registry change working!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I get CMD to start somewhere besides C:\Windows\System32, preferably C:\?
    For me, a better solution offers a right-click option to open a command prompt at any folder I am currently 'looking at' in Explorer: if you add a registry key/value of

HKCU\Software\Classes\folder\shell\prompt!\command \", "cmd /k cd %1"

then a new rt-click (context menu) option called 'prompt!' should appear. I actually insert the key using a bit of vbs, which I have attached as a .txt file, since it appears vbs is not allowed. This also offers an 'x from here' which should open a new Explorer window rooted at the current folder.

These have both worked (with some changes) since the days of NT, then Xp, Vista and Win-7, and have now been tweaked to work (as best they can) on W10. Its quite remarkable that something 10 years old does anything at all, but there are gotchas:

* The 'prompt' command only works in W10 from the right-hand explorer pane (in Xp it works from left & right)
    * x-from-here opens a new window at the required folder (from both left and right panes), but is not fully rooted there - the folder tree on the left is still present. In XP, the tree starts at the requested folder, so it is impossible to go up from there, and this makes it suitably hard to get the windows mixed up when dragging and dropping files.

And to answer Jwoods' question, it saves a lot of typing to change drives/directories!

HTH, Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

satrow (2015-06-20),wavy (2015-06-21)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    And to answer Jwoods' question, it saves a lot of typing to change drives/directories!

HTH, Martin
    Yep, typing cd \ is a lot of work...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Yep, typing cd \ is a lot of work...
    OK, I'll bite: typing C:\Program Files\utils\Boot\Grub4DOS takes a bit longer! and switching drives is even more 'effort'.

Thanks
    Pin CMD to the Taskbar.

Right-click the CMD icon on the Taskbar, then right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Properties".

Change the "Start in:" line so it reads:

%HOMEDRIVE%\

Click Apply > OK.

Now click your new CMD icon on the Taskbar and you should be sitting at a command prompt in the root directory of your boot drive.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-06-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    For me, a better solution offers a right-click option to open a command prompt at any folder I am currently 'looking at' in Explorer: if you add a registry key/value of

HKCU\Software\Classes\folder\shell\prompt!\command \", "cmd /k cd %1"

HTH, Martin
    Man your timing could not be better for me, I was gonna look that up this weekend!

PS anybody tried the MS power tools in W10 ?
    Or tweakui ??
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-06-21 at 13:08. Reason: ps
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

If you don't want to muck around in the registry you can download .reg files to do/undo this feature at Seven Forums.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I find more compelling is the old Windows XP PowerToy called "Command Window Here". It extends the Windows Explorer context menus so that you can right click on any folder and open a window with that default directory.

With Windows 7 though this PowerToy didn't seem to install correctly. The following blog says it works without installing anything, you just need to Shift-Right Click. Then it goes on to say that the Shift trick doesn't work on libraries and that's a rather large omission!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...orum=w7itproui

Anyhow I want my Command Window Here back.

Thanks
    Take a look at the "Ultimate Windows Tweaker v3 put out by the Windows Club. It does that just fine.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...er-3-windows-8

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at the "Ultimate Windows Tweaker v3 put out by the Windows Club. It does that just fine.
    I had a go with that, and whilst I certainly didn't try every tweak, those i did gave inconsistent results. Tweaks to the notification area had effect, but could not be undone. and as I appear to have just crashed my PC by clicking 'reset defaults', I can't recommend that. Now to see if the restore point I created can fix it...

... turns out a log-off and on did the trick. To be fair, they (The Windows Club) don't declare any W10 capability. However, while the tweaked 'command prompt here' was installed, I took a copy of the registry settings, and my vbs script now works better (from either left or right panes, any drive) with this line:

WSHShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Classes\folder\shell\prompt!\comman d\", "cmd.exe /s /k pushd ""%V"" "

and before anyone says 'but I don't want to mess with the registry', any effective solution is going to involve the registry - it's just a matter of which way it gets changed. I admit to not understanding the syntax of the above command, but will be looking into it.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2015-07-04 at 18:09.

Thanks
    I have been called "just a bit impetuous" around here...That being said...

When I first tried UWT 3, I went through and did all my tweaks at once, then rebooted. Thank goodness I keep regular restore points! From there...

I went through and carefully picked the tweaks I really wanted, one at a time, checking after each, and found that most if not all that I did in the "second round" worked well.

The rule of thumb back in the DOS days was to be cautious of any program with an x.0 version number, figuring it more careful to wait on x.1. I didn't and am thankful I was and am keeping restore points.

I had been using V 2 for quite some time, and was very satisfied with the ease it added to setups. V. 3 already adds a good deal (IMHO) to W-10, and that with W-10 still in beta, so I am pretty optimistic going forward.

Thanks
    True enough, but think about how many millions of people that would be out of work if everyone just stayed with the "Tried and true", and never lookd for another way.

Maybe people would jsut be using typewriters and the [post office, figuring the mail would get there either way, right?

Curiosity may have killed the car, but it also found fire.

Chuck