Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What you should know about the Win10 launch

TOP STORY

What you should know about the Win10 launch

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft has begun its major push for Windows 10 on billions of PCs. If you're running Windows 7 or 8.1, there's a good chance you've had alerts for the new OS on your system.

The mighty Microsoft marketing system is taking an entirely new approach to introducing the next Windows. Here are the facts, not the hype.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-win10-launch/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The forced patch installation is pretty scary to me if Microsoft continues to send driver patches. I have always hidden them and used the manufacturer's update mechanism for drivers.

Anything known about this issue?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've a new HP Pavilion which I had built last winter in anticipation of Win10, I was told by HP product support to NOT grab or accept the MS download but to wait for HP to roll out its version as their warranty process covers the operating system (OEM) and they will provide the Win10 upgrade themselves. It might be so for other OEM manufacturers as well, so people with machines under warranty might want to check with their vendor about their plans too. :^) gene

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What possibilities will there be for doing a clean install of Windows 10?

I have Win 8.1 (upgraded from Win 8, upgraded from Win 7) and when I recently had a problem with other software (specifically, trying to upgrade to the latest iTunes) I encountered error messages saying that there were files missing from Windows (or something to that effect).

I'm hoping that the upgrade to Windows 10 will be enough to iron out the problem, but if not, then I'll want to do a clean install. What could I expect in this regard?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "And if you haven’t updated from Win8 to 8.1, a necessary requirement for Win10, " No its not. That's only if you use Windows Update to upgrade. There'll be ISOs available from the end of July to update ALL versions of Windows 7 and 8 to 10.

But I agree, best to NOT reserve the upgrade yet. Give them a couple of months to iron out any nasties. The main questions are the usual ones like:-
    - can I clean install 10? (A: yes but you have to go through the upgrade first when Microsoft will generate you a (possibly invisible to users) windows 10 license based on previous license + hardware id)
    - can I go back to my previous Windows if I don't like 10? (A: depends whether Microsoft keeps the "Revert back to previous Windows" option in Recovery; I doubt it; you'll have to talk to MS to revert back; best to try 10 first before you upgrade)
    Last edited by musicrab; 2015-06-18 at 09:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Susan, for your excellent column. Very helpful. I likely will delay installation of Windows 10 for some period of time. I'm running virtual copy of WinXP within Windows 7 Ultimate in order to use some good but old programs that are still important to me. I need to figure out an alternative to this with a virtual solution of some sort. If not, I may have to wait for Windows 15 as you note.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is Microsoft really in a position to pressure users into an upgrade? Vista and Windows 8 were both less than "improvements".

Microsoft may still command the desktop but the dominant driver in the digital world is mobile. That battle is between Android and Apple. You would think Microsoft would focus on getting a stable desktop release rather than trying to force users into another disaster.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobhedin For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Contrary to some rumors, there will not be any sort of subscription fee after you upgrade. Microsoft will send free updates for the life of the OS."

Thanks for the explanations, Susan, but come on, that statement is not on the up and up. Whatever is or is not in the works with Win 10 itself, Microsoft has said time and again that starting with Windows 10, Windows is going to be a service. Service in MS terms, as well as those of just about every other business, means payment for service. Annual paid subscription has been Microsoft's service format (e.g., Windows 365). So the "rumors" are not rumors, but anticipation, anxiety and caution based on fact and Microsoft's not being forthcoming about what they intend by Windows as a service.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know if there is any other way to get the upgrade other than the reservation method? I ask because I recently had my house burn down and lost all of my computers. For six of them i used the Windows 7 family pack. I purchased two packs. It allowed you to install WIN 7 on three computers. So could one say get Windows 10 upgrade with just the product key?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    "Contrary to some rumors, there will not be any sort of subscription fee after you upgrade. Microsoft will send free updates for the life of the OS."

Thanks for the explanations, Susan, but come on, that statement is not on the up and up. Whatever is or is not in the works with Win 10 itself, Microsoft has said time and again that starting with Windows 10, Windows is going to be a service. Service in MS terms, as well as those of just about every other business, means payment for service. Annual paid subscription has been Microsoft's service format (e.g., Windows 365). So the "rumors" are not rumors, but anticipation, anxiety and caution based on fact and Microsoft's not being forthcoming about what they intend by Windows as a service.
    You are probably right- I believe they watched Adobe force people into a cloud based 'service' with a monthly subscription fee, noted that the outrage was 'manageable' (IE:P they just ignored the outrage, and people quit complaining after awhile because it was obvious Adobe could care less what people thought), and decided to go a similar route- but slowly- offering 10 for free for a year, getting lots of fish on the hook, then wham- forced cloud based subscription fee at some point knowing people are not going to want to uninstall and clean install their previous OS- Don't pay the monthly fee? OS will fail to operate properly - forcing people into paying monthly fee just to keep their os working right- What's to stop them? Certainly NOT public outrage- as we've seen in the case of Adobe Creative Suite-

IF they do go to subscription fee on a monthly basis- will MSW also force people to keep paying or be unable to alter work done when the os was 'active- like Adobe does? (Photos you work on are 'locked' until you begin paying the extortion/errrr- montly fee again because now, apparently, the cloud service does something to the photos making them uneditable in other programs? or something like that (I never did go with their cloud service= stopped buying CS after version 5 because of their lousy cloud service!

Changed start menus? Gee thanks MS- That's just what I wanted- you mucking with something I was perfectly happy with! Changing it to suit YOUR obsessive need to change things instead of leaving well enough alone! Desktop aps? Didn't want them! But apparently now we'll not have a choice? Menu apps? Also don't want them- apparently we can turn them off- but menu system still looks awful now- no control panel fly out menu now? Gee thanks MS- because the fly out control panel menu was just too convenient- thank you for saving me from convenience! Wouldn't want life being too convenient now would we? Now I'm going to have to drill down through a crappy gui 'app' to get to what I want? Golly- can't wait!

You watch- windows 7 will be quickly outdated- not working well on websites- causing conflicts etc- and then those of us not willing to upgrade to 10 will be forced to buy a crappier version of windows-

Would it hurt MS to offer a 'keep windows 7 settings' option as a choice? (Like the 'use classic look' option AVAILABLE to windows users prior to windows 10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niemand View Post
    Do you know if there is any other way to get the upgrade other than the reservation method? I ask because I recently had my house burn down and lost all of my computers. For six of them i used the Windows 7 family pack. I purchased two packs. It allowed you to install WIN 7 on three computers. So could one say get Windows 10 upgrade with just the product key?
    Download ISO after release. The problem is you have no existing product(s) which you can upgrade. Surely (surely!) you will be buying new windows 7 (or whatever) licenses/computers through your house insurance?
    PS. terrible about your house.
    Last edited by musicrab; 2015-06-18 at 12:01.

Ken Kashmarek
    A couple of questions/observations on the Windows 10 upgrade business...

My copy of build 10130 has both IE and Edge. Will the final copy of Windows 10 still have both, or Edge only? This could be a high impact item.

My copy of build 10130 still includes Windows Media Player. We need to get somone to work out exporting WDM from build 10130, so it can be installed to the production Win10. Is that possible?

On my running copy of build 10130, the module ShellExperience consumes 7-8% of one core on my I5 4 core system (3.1 ghz speed). Is this what we can expect from the production release?

How about doing an article on licensing considerations for software that runs under Windows that will be (hopefully) continuing to run under Win10? That is, existing licensed code, such as anti-virus, firewall, and internet security suites, plus a host of others (such as backup/restore prgrams, add-on utility sets, etc.)

When I shut down build 10130 of Win10, I get a memory error from Windows Explorer. Does anyone else have this issue? The shutdown is then blocked until I click to ignore the problem and shutdown anyway. This still occurs evern after the recent round of many fixes to 10130.
    Last edited by Ken Kashmarek; 2015-06-18 at 12:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by musicrab View Post
    Download ISO after release. The problem is you have no existing product(s) which you can upgrade.
    The iso would work providing they allowed you to enter old product key then let install continue. I do not buy my computers. I build them myself. Buying a computer for me will never happen.

So the yes or no question is: Can you upgrade with just old product key on new hardware?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niemand View Post
    The iso would work providing they allowed you to enter old product key then let install continue. I do not buy my computers. I build them myself. Buying a computer for me will never happen.

So the yes or no question is: Can you upgrade with just old product key on new hardware?
    Sorry I didn't realise you had your old (windows 7) keys; I doubt very much you will be able to install "windows 10 upgrade" with just a windows 7 key.
    I'd rebuild your windows 7 computers with ISOs from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
    [Of-course because you have new hardware, activation may be an issue here. A call to MS will be required!]
    Then you can upgrade.
    Last edited by musicrab; 2015-06-18 at 12:56.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    A couple of questions/observations on the Windows 10 upgrade business...

My copy of build 10130 has both IE and Edge. Will the final copy of Windows 10 still have both, or Edge only? This could be a high impact item.

My copy of build 10130 still includes Windows Media Player. We need to get someone to work out exporting WDM from build 10130, so it can be installed to the production Win10. Is that possible?
    Both Edge and IE:

At the same time, we recognize that for some of our enterprise customers, it’s important they have the support they need and can continue to use Internet Explorer when and where they need it. This is why we will continue to make it easy for our enterprise customers to make Internet Explorer 11 the default browser via group policy. Internet Explorer 11 is supported on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 for all customers, also providing a consistent platform that’s great for enterprise Web apps.
    The New Browser Built for Windows 10

WDM? Windows Media Player is included in Windows 10, but Windows Media Center is not.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-18)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast